3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Issue with the OEM Security System

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 11:24 AM
keithhud
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Issue with the OEM Security System

So last night I was driving home and my TPMS dash light starts flashing and there is a solid red on the dash panel as well. So I pull over to see if I had a tire going down but all four tires are fine.

I turn the truck off thinking maybe it just needs a reboot (I am a Computer Guy what can I say) and the truck won’t fire up. All I get is a clicking noise in the fuse box? I take the manual out and find out the solid red light is system security light. Not much in the way of help from the manual.

I manually lock the doors on the truck since the wireless fob won’t work and I get a ride to the house and get my wife’s car and go back to wait for a tow truck to tow the truck to the stealership.

I go to open the door on the truck once the tow truck is there and the alarm goes off. I try the wireless fob nothing happens. So I ended disconnecting the battery to get the alarm to stop.

Now I am waiting to hear what the stealership finds. Any guesses?

Last edited by keithhud; 06-02-2011 at 11:26 AM. Reason: Spelling errors
Old 06-02-2011, 11:59 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

Battery died on the remote?

Old 06-02-2011, 12:10 PM
marcsnyder05
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 06-02-2011, 12:22 PM
keithhud
Professional

Originally Posted by jkeaton
Battery died on the remote?
Yeah I thought that as well, so I stopped by O`Reilly's Auto Parts and tested the remote fob and it was good. I wanted to make sure it wasn't a $5 fix before having it towed.

Thanks for the replies and suggestion.

Old 06-03-2011, 11:05 AM
keithhud
Professional

Update on my truck not starting.

Get the call from the Service Dept and the service guy tells me “Well we can’t duplicate what you experienced. When we went to start the truck and it wouldn’t start so we reconnect the battery and the alarm was in lock out mode, we reset the alarm with the wireless fob on the key and the truck started”.

The service guy proceeds to tell me the reason the truck wouldn’t start is because I manually locked the doors and when I went to manually unlock the doors the system thought I was breaking into the truck without disabling the alarm via the wireless fob.

So I explain to him that after I shut the truck off the wireless fob would not lock or unlock the doors and since I was going to leave my truck unlocked I had to manually lock the doors when I left to get my wifes car and when the tow truck arrive and I unlocked the door manually the alarm went and would not turn off via the wireless fob. The only way to stop the alarm was to disconnect the battery.

They ran a system diagnostics check and didn’t find any. They checked the wireless fob and said the signal was fine but the lock and unlock buttons were showing intermittent connectively and he suggested I get a new key with wireless fob at a cost of $215. Oh and since it was there they washed my truck. So for a diagnostics check and truck wash it cost me $125.

So I think the reason it started the next morning was after having been disconnected from the battery for a good 8 hours, the system reset itself and the wireless fob worked as it should.

Sorry for the long update, just hoping it might help someone in the future.

Old 06-03-2011, 12:33 PM
marcsnyder05
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

At least it wasn't something big like a fried BCM

Old 06-03-2011, 08:58 PM
V8MANual
Captain

I've had a weird occurance several times with my van; if I accidentally bump on the dome lights with my knee when I exit, the remote won't lock or unlock the doors. I turn off the dome lights and everything is fine.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:11 PM
wingman_214
Veteran

Check the sodler on the the clamp that holds the battery. I've seen them starts to come loose or crack and cause all sorts of problems as the fob constantly looses and regains power.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:19 PM
TM.SS
Rookie

On my fob the battery was loose causing intermittent power loss, I tightened it up with a wedge of paper. Been fine ever since, been over a year with no problems

Old 06-05-2011, 02:16 PM
keithhud
Professional

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check the contacts and see what they look like.

Quick Reply: Issue with the OEM Security System