3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

After Market Fog/Driving Lights

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 08:14 AM
bluebeast1562
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default After Market Fog/Driving Lights

More than likely this has been covered in the past however, have not been able to find the answer.
Was going through my owners manual and looking over the power distro center and noticed that there there is 40 amp fuse for the parking lights, seems to be like 10 amps per light due to some other things I saw in the layout. Anyhow, would running a power wire to after market lights to the distro box and into the parking lights cause any problems? I really do not want to run a seperate toggle switch for the lights and was hoping that when the parking lights were in the on position, that would power up the driving/fog lights
If the above info cannot be done, any ideas on after market set ups?
Thanks,
Birk

Old 06-15-2011, 09:45 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

Don't see an issue with that as long as they ain't like 500 watt lights....just make sure to install a fuse...

Old 06-15-2011, 01:29 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I would install a separate relay for the added lights for power, separate ground, etc. but instead of running a switch, run off the pin on the relay you would run to a switch and tap into the relay or wire running to the switch for your existing lights. Thisaway if you have an issue with the lights you add, they will not take out your driving lights.

I did this with my pair of 130 watt lights only I ran the relay to the fog light relay. I seldom used the fogs, so my factory fog light switch now turns on both the fogs and the off-road lights, but other than the line to the fog switch relay pin, the off-road lights are separate, have their own power wiring, fuse, relay and ground, so if I blow them, I don't take out the fogs.

Also, if you happen to have the over-head console with the HomeLink option, I have a REALLY cool setup to use the unused buttons for that that I run in my Grand Cherokee...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 06-15-2011 at 01:31 PM.

Quick Reply: After Market Fog/Driving Lights