3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

How am I running lean?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 08:32 PM
mezerr
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ericemery
Maybe diagnosing the actual issue would be better? I think changing the plugs to get the desired results is something of a band-aid. The same plugs came out and looked good, these should also I would think. Something changed, so finding out what did, might be better. No?

At 35k, the only things I can think of would be vac leak or fuel pressure. You can verify the pressure from the shraeder valve on the rail. If the pressure is lower than spec, you are probably going to have to drop the tank to verify the filter on the pump is clean.

To find vac leaks, I have always done the old soapy water trick. Put some soapy water in a spray bottle and spray any vac line and look for bubbles with the trucks on. Also check the intake manifold for leaks.

I doubt your injectors are the issue, as every plug looks the same. I am also doubting its fuel pressure related. If you can verify the rail pressure and don't find any vac leaks, then I would say its something ignition signal related.

Good luck man. Personally, I wouldn't start throwing different plugs at it 'till I knew what was causing the discoloration.
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look into that.

I wasn't going to change to a different plug. The stock champions, which is the stock plug is adequate. I only caught the problem by changing them to begin with.

Old 06-23-2011, 11:13 AM
mezerr
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took all plugs out, and checked gap. It's hard to get an exact gap. Not sure if it has to be a tight 40, or loose 40. I adjusted some gaps the best I could, and put them back in.

Also reset the computer overnight.

We'll see if that helps.

Quick Reply: How am I running lean?