3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Tired of being paranoid...

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 09:35 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 340 Likes on 303 Posts
Default Tired of being paranoid...

well, you have heard me talk about how the night shaded tails are illegal in NC. I'm tired of driving around paranoid that either a) I'm going to get pulled over or b) someones going to rear end me on a bright day because they can;t see my brake lights. My dad was driving behind me today and said he could hardly see my brake lights come one....so...I had a spare pair laying around, so I masked off the areas I need more light from and sprayed 2 coats on the rest. Still looks good I think and now I feel a little bit better about driving home from the bowling alley at night after a few beers....plus now I can see behind me again when backing up...lol

This is the same shot as the previous...but the flash went off so you can still see the reflectors....

So I'll be selling my complete night shaded tails in the marketplace....

Last edited by jkeaton; 06-26-2011 at 10:51 AM.
Old 06-25-2011, 09:58 PM
thunder98110
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

much better kent, thoes look nice

Old 06-25-2011, 10:00 PM
cope4jerd
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

damn those look really good. thats exactlly what i want to do with mine. what paint did you use and did you just mask it off with tape cause the top part looks soo perfect and rounded not choppy. very impressive and its like you yanked the look i wanted right out of my brain. im sure a lot of guys do this but i just havnt gotten around to seein their pics yet. haha. i hope mine turn out this good.

Old 06-25-2011, 10:05 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 340 Likes on 303 Posts

I actually got the idea from another df member who did the same thing. Cheeseburger, maybe?? I just used painters tape, outlined the part I wanted to keep clean with a sharpie, which showed through the tape, then used an x-acto blade to cut along the line. Buffed up the part I wanted to paint with a scuff pad, just to rough up the plastic a bit and sprayed two coats of night shade. I will clear coat them later but honestly they came out real smooth without having to compound or anything.

Old 06-25-2011, 10:51 PM
wingman_214
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damm that looks nice. I was going to do the exact same thing to mine but i eft up and nightshaded the whole thing.

Old 06-25-2011, 10:54 PM
rengnath
Champion

I guess I could take the tinted ones off your hands. I have a light bar under the tailgate so that should be enough! Lol

Old 06-25-2011, 11:10 PM
cope4jerd
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks for the rundown on how ya did it. damn my list for when i get home keeps getting bigger..... i wish the Gov paid overtime too. hahaha

Old 06-26-2011, 01:26 AM
Jaded
Record Breaker
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I would be sweating that too. off road HID's, blacked out lights, license plate frames are all stuff that give police a reason to pull you over. Not to mention liability in an accident.

Old 06-26-2011, 01:39 AM
marcsnyder05
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jkeaton
I actually got the idea from another df member who did the same thing. Cheeseburger, maybe?? I just used painters tape, outlined the part I wanted to keep clean with a sharpie, which showed through the tape, then used an x-acto blade to cut along the line. Buffed up the part I wanted to paint with a scuff pad, just to rough up the plastic a bit and sprayed two coats of night shade. I will clear coat them later but honestly they came out real smooth without having to compound or anything.
WTEBOY703 and I did the same thing. your's looks sweet!! here's a pic of mine.

IMG_1901.jpg

Old 06-26-2011, 03:44 AM
Deer Hunter
Veteran

Originally Posted by Jaded
I would be sweating that too. off road HID's, blacked out lights, license plate frames are all stuff that give police a reason to pull you over. Not to mention liability in an accident.
license plate frames?

Quick Reply: Tired of being paranoid...