3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

2011 gas gauge issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 11:10 AM
reagor
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by aceinsp
brandon_will9: They have about replaced everything they can on my truck that can be. I'd tell the dealer to replace the fuel tank as that has seemed to correct my problem so far. They had a couple of factory reps out and they determined the tank was deformed in the area where the fuel pump and float sit. So far the fix is working on our truck. We will know when we get to a half a tank again. The wife just drives to and from work about 10 miles per day so it takes awhile to use up the gas. I will keep you all posted as to this last fix. Later RJD
any chance you have pics...or what kinda deformation was present? was it deformed internally on a baffel or something or the outside...could you see the problem from looking under the truck?

Old 09-12-2011, 09:10 PM
aceinsp

reagor: I could not see the defect in the tank. It sounded as it was internal on a baffel according to the tech guys. No pics. Later RJD

Old 09-22-2011, 03:59 PM
aceinsp

Well looks like everyone is happy and got there problem solved. I included. Thanks all for the help and suggestions. Later RJD

Old 10-14-2011, 10:20 PM
brandon_will9
Amateur

Originally Posted by reagor
any chance you have pics...or what kinda deformation was present? was it deformed internally on a baffel or something or the outside...could you see the problem from looking under the truck?
sorry i havent replied in a while. i was on leave. but mine hasnt done it in a while since my trip.

Old 09-18-2012, 02:33 AM
tdkline11

I am having the same problem with my 2011 Dakota. Dealer has it now and is replacing the tank sender for the second time.

Old 09-18-2012, 12:19 PM
Haebar
Default Dakota fuel guage issue

Mine has failed for the fourth time! I have had it in for work on three occasions over the past year; each time it would work fine for a few months and then it would fail again. I am giving them one last chance and then I will try to get them to buy it back from me under the lemon law. No telling how that will go.

Old 09-20-2012, 10:16 PM
Haebar

I had my 2011 Dakota in for service for the fourth time for the intermittent fuel gauge problem. They took the gas tank off and found two 5" O-rings loose in there. They said that they were floating around in my gas and causing the intermittent failure of the gauge. They surmised that they had been accidentally put in there during production, presumably by a robot. Hope this helps others with the same problem.

Old 09-21-2012, 08:15 AM
northgator8
All Star
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Haebar
They surmised that they had been accidentally put in there during production, presumably by a robot.
Pesky Robots! They new they were going to be out of work, so they said to each other "What the Hell! We're not here next month, let's just put extra O-Rings down the hole! That'll show those FIAT guys!"

Old 09-18-2013, 04:16 PM
jerrymink

Dealer finally replaced tank on my 2011 Dakota after multiple repair attempts and happy to report it is fixed! Told dealer about problems everyone was having on forum and things being replaced multiple times just like dealer was trying on mine. Dealer replaced tank and that fixed it! Finally! Tell your dealer this is the fix! Thanks to the forum!

Old 09-19-2013, 02:59 PM
DodgeCACares
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jerrymink
Dealer finally replaced tank on my 2011 Dakota after multiple repair attempts and happy to report it is fixed! Told dealer about problems everyone was having on forum and things being replaced multiple times just like dealer was trying on mine. Dealer replaced tank and that fixed it! Finally! Tell your dealer this is the fix! Thanks to the forum!

Jerrymink,

I'm happy to hear your issue has been resolved!

Thanks for the update.

Quick Reply: 2011 gas gauge issue