3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

07 3.7 Electrical Problem???

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 04:24 PM
nickxrx
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 3.7 Electrical Problem???

Ok my truck has 95,000 miles. Never had a problem with it until today. I drove to work and then to lunch. Left work and my truck wouldnt start. However, the gauges moved for a second when i turned the key, then nothing. I did notice two little lights beeping on the gauge cluster(upper right hand corner). So Im thinking dead battery, I get someone to jump me off. Well it doesnt start up first try, it doesn't do anything except the rpm and speedo gauges move. Finally after turning the key 5 or 6 times it cranks. But now my ac light is blinking and check engine light is on, also the mileage light is blinking. Anyone have a clue. (Not sure if this could cause this but it was storming really bad today). This is just so random. I'm pissed....

Old 07-26-2011, 04:38 PM
MitsuRaider
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like water got in somewhere. Did you get a check engine light?

Old 07-26-2011, 04:39 PM
nickxrx
Amateur

I haven't cut the truck off in 30 mins since I got it started. I have noticed several more things. When I rev up. The lights flicker faster. Also while driving the brake light and chime came on a couple of times. Could it be the battery or alternator?

Old 07-26-2011, 04:40 PM
nickxrx
Amateur

Originally Posted by MitsuRaider
Sounds like water got in somewhere. Did you get a check engine light?
Yea I have a check engine light. On. I was thinking water too. But where would I even begin to look.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:19 PM
nickxrx
Amateur

ok I have an update. the truck will not start without jumping it off. But when you do get it running, the lights flicker and the a/c light blinks on and off even with the unit turn off. Could this be an alternator. Although, I did disconnect the battery and the truck still continued to run. I always thought once alternators go bad it either works or doesn't. ( do they slowly die?)

Old 07-26-2011, 11:35 PM
wingman_214
Veteran

Removing the cables to check your alternator may have been true for your grampa but most modern vehicles will automaticly shut down to prevent damage to the circuts.

I would check your battery, if it has a crappy cell and isn't consistantly delivering 12.6 volts yhe ecm wont " think" correctly. Check the negative cable as well if it isn't providing good ground it will cause the same issues.

Old 07-27-2011, 01:24 AM
erau
Veteran
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I concur about the battery. How old is it?

Sounds like it's no longer able to hold a decent charge, hold a decent circuit, or both. Run by Advance Auto, they can test it and tell you right away if the battery is nearing the end of it's life.

Old 07-27-2011, 01:05 PM
nickxrx
Amateur

Originally Posted by erau
I concur about the battery. How old is it?

Sounds like it's no longer able to hold a decent charge, hold a decent circuit, or both. Run by Advance Auto, they can test it and tell you right away if the battery is nearing the end of it's life.

I'm assuming the battery is from the factory. I haven't changed it in my two years of owning it. Its an 07 truck. I will be taking it to advanced today. Thanks for the responses.

Quick Reply: 07 3.7 Electrical Problem???