3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Help! Truck won't start...

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 07:56 PM
Isk
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Truck won't start...

I have an 08 dak sxt 3.7 rwd... Got home, turned the key an hour later and nothing. All lights came on, but no click or anything when key turned. Checked fuses and cables, cleaned terminals then it would start randomly a time or two, then nothing again. Battery isnt dead, turns over fine then turn off and nothing. My only guess is starter/selenoid so i'm gonna yank that and get it checked. Any other ideas or experience with this problem?

Old 07-26-2011, 08:06 PM
wingman_214
Veteran

How old is your battery? Is your check engine light on?

The battery might be charged and thats why the lights come on but it is amperage that makes a battery. If you think it is the starter you could try tapping it with a hammer.

There is also the possability that the cam or crank sensor are on the way out.

Old 07-26-2011, 10:10 PM
moparmaniac1999
Professional

I read another post about the pcm negative cable being loose and causing something like this.

Old 07-27-2011, 05:09 AM
TomZ
Professional

I just replaced the starter in my wife's Neon. It died without warning. Subscribe to ALLDATA for your truck, with a discount coupon it's $26 for 5 years. ALLDATA provided a troubleshooting procedure where i jumpered a wire from the one of the 5 starter relay cavity pins to the battery (this was after verifying the battery condition and wires to the starter). It did nothing, indicating a bad starter. Took the starter out and had it tested at Advance; DOA. Put in a new starter, all is well. Her car wasn't throwing any codes, another indication the starter was the problem.

Old 07-27-2011, 08:49 AM
Isk

Battery would be 3 years old... truck is fairly new, and the engine light is always on when the ignition is on with the engine off.

Old 07-27-2011, 11:41 AM
rengnath
Champion

I had an aftermarket starter on my 94 chevy that just went one day without warning. Turning the key did nothing, not even the lights on the dash would go out like the power was low.

Try tapping on the starter with a hammer while someone turns the key. Theres a good chance that it will start 1 or 2 more times, sometimes even more. This would atleast get you to a shop instead of having a tow, unless you want to do it yourself. I know on the 4.7l its not in a great spot.

Also, try to check for codes with a reader if you have one. If its something other than the starter, it might have thrown a code.

Quick Reply: Help! Truck won't start...