3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

For Daks with body lifts ONLY

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 01:14 AM
sleds
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you measure the throw of your shift lever 3" higher than the floor is right now, does that give you clearance inside your boot without trimming anything? If so no big deal. As far as clearance to the dash, it would be pretty easy to put the shifter in a bender and give it a bit of a bend to clear anything. If you find it too low, put a coupling on there and add a few inches more rod on there. It should be pretty easy to thread some rod the same diameter. The body lift is not hard to do. If you have a problem with the front end support mounts like some of us have, just take an angle grinder and cut the head of the bolts off as new ones come with the lift kit.

Old 07-29-2011, 03:22 AM
marcsnyder05
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sleds
If you measure the throw of your shift lever 3" higher than the floor is right now, does that give you clearance inside your boot without trimming anything? If so no big deal. As far as clearance to the dash, it would be pretty easy to put the shifter in a bender and give it a bit of a bend to clear anything. If you find it too low, put a coupling on there and add a few inches more rod on there. It should be pretty easy to thread some rod the same diameter. The body lift is not hard to do. If you have a problem with the front end support mounts like some of us have, just take an angle grinder and cut the head of the bolts off as new ones come with the lift kit.
That's a good idea about putting a bend in the shifter

Old 07-29-2011, 08:38 AM
donkeypunch
King Jackass
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jkeaton
jk about the frenchman thing..Serious about your truck...lol...wanted to make that clear..
LMFAO!...no but seriously, lol. I definately woke up this morning, made my coffee, sat down at the computer to see who posted in this thread. When I saw "page 2", I said to myself, "Awesome! Input input input input!!! (From the movie "Short Circuit" for you young whipper snappers)". Then I noticed you posted 3 times, lol.

I have definately done the same thing. I will post something that I think is funny, then say to myself, "f*ck, he probably won't take it that way", then post something right after that, saying to myself "yep, he will get it this time......nope, I better clarify one more time, just in case.

No worries, thanks for the compliments! I definately admire your beast as well. There's just something about the blue that sets it off.

Old 07-29-2011, 08:48 AM
donkeypunch
King Jackass
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sleds
Ah, wonderful input! Ok, so I will try to check the clearance with the shifter, but I think I will have to make a cheap jig that is the same open-area as the center plastic console. Because of our dash, I cant just pick the whole console up 3" to measure the shifter clearance. Good call on trying to bend the shifter. I have also thought about welding an extension to it.

The body mounts in the front that you are referring to, would those be the ones that double as the mounting bolts for the tow hooks? If so, the problem I encountered was the bolt spinning the actual mount. Had to use a big f*cking impact gun and PB Blaster.

Old 07-29-2011, 11:23 AM
marcsnyder05
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by donkeypunch

The body mounts in the front that you are referring to, would those be the ones that double as the mounting bolts for the tow hooks? If so, the problem I encountered was the bolt spinning the actual mount. Had to use a big f*cking impact gun and PB Blaster.
Yeah that's the bolts

Quick Reply: For Daks with body lifts ONLY