3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Questions about improving gas milage

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 10:01 AM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by EliteTempleton
Different gas stations can give you different fuel economy? Is this due to the fuel mixture? I thought the mixtures were all the same form the refinery? Though depending on where you live you might end up with fuel from different refineries. Which is how one of my local stations "Loves" competes, they don't contract and buy from whomever is cheapest.

Do you have a plan to account for Summer and Winter fuel mixtures? Or just figure the best MPG summer mixture is also likely the best MPG winter mix?

I just downloaded the app an placed it next to my gasbuddy app. Neat!

Was there a thread I missed about this?
Yes the gas comes from the same pipeline and supplier but each company has a special blend package they there fuel. I have found that I don't get as good a mileage when using Sunoco, Sheetz, or Hess stations as compared to the Kwik Fill stations. I am tracking it from now on out to confirm my assumption on "paper" instead of just noticing it and what the overhead reads. The truck feels like it runs so much smoother and is more responsive IMO since I have specifically used Kwik Fill, plus the price of their fuel is cheaper half to the time. I just need to remmeber to fill up after work if I need to because the closest Kwik Fill station is 10 miles from my home. So I am not sure what the deal is...

There was a thread awhile back about cool smratphone apps. Altair turned me on to this app about 2 almost 3 yrs ago I think. Its pretty awesome I think and you can download to excel too! I am tracking all the vehicles the wife and I own just for ****s and giggles

Old 08-17-2011, 04:25 PM
Adams95ta
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 08-17-2011, 04:29 PM
gjmoran
Captain

Originally Posted by EliteTempleton
A salesperson at the dealer or a service department worker?

My salesman said my truck would turn rainwater into vodka but it's already rained and... no dice.
lmfao..nice one.

Old 08-18-2011, 03:34 PM
Tygarys
Amateur

Didn't mythbusters test out different bed modifications to see what got the best mileage? If I remember correctly it turned out to be the "mesh" style tailgate replacement.

I think they used a Dakota as the test vehicle too.

Old 08-18-2011, 04:01 PM
EliteTempleton
Veteran

Originally Posted by Tygarys
Didn't mythbusters test out different bed modifications to see what got the best mileage? If I remember correctly it turned out to be the "mesh" style tailgate replacement.

I think they used a Dakota as the test vehicle too.
Oh yea I had wanted to mention the tailgate thing. Anyone ever taken that off? It's heavy. So you'd gain by making your engine carry less weight. I think the mesh tailgate would keep you're groceries in, but if you're not haulin anything in the back just not having a tailgate on at all would be the way to go. I can't do that cuz I keep stuff like a floor jack in the back under the tonneau and if it were in plain sight I'm sure it'd change ownership without my approval . But, YMMV (pun intended).

Also, Mythbusters is a TV show. Every time I've reference something from the show to an expert in the field they tested something out in I tend to get a negative reaction. So I now take their results with a grain of salt and not as a sole source of information.

Old 08-19-2011, 12:57 AM
skikir

As far as I remember from the Myth Busters that I saw, it was about tail gate up Vs tail gate down and tail gate up won because it created an aerodynamic "bubble" in the bed that "fooled" the air into a more aerodynamic profile. Years ago when I bought my first pickup and thought that by leaving my tail gate down I would get better mileage my friend sent me a link about some engineers in the 80's/90's who didn't have enough to do with a wind tunnel set out to test the question. They came up with tail gate up as the best position which pretty well "preinforced " the myth busters. If with the tail gate up gives better mileage at speed than with out then the small weight price given with the tail gate removed is insignificant. Plus as many times as I've removed it, for working around the farm it does not weigh that much.

http://www.cartalk.com/content/colum...ctober/05.html
http://www.symscape.com/blog/tailgate-up-or-down

Old 08-19-2011, 09:59 AM
BrandNew
Professional

I have intake, exhaust, new spark plugs , superchips, and a bed cover and I only get 12 mpg. If you want to know how many mpg you get take the number of gallons you put in divide by the number of miles you drive.

Old 08-20-2011, 01:10 PM
Blu3P0ny
Professional

Originally Posted by BrandNew
I have intake, exhaust, new spark plugs , superchips, and a bed cover and I only get 12 mpg. If you want to know how many mpg you get take the number of gallons you put in divide by the number of miles you drive.
Wow...
12?
Really? I was getting 14-15 with quad cab, 4x4 and the V8 driving stuff around for work (about 300 lbs of tools) so 12 is really really bad. I'd do a full on tune up and then look for clogged everythings.
OR, just keep your foot out of it a bit.

Old 08-20-2011, 04:38 PM
misfitdakota_95
Professional

the thing that kills fuel mileage on all vehicles (not just dodge dakotas) is 10% ethanol. That stuff will ALWAYS lower fuel mileage. Lucas Oil company has come out with a fuel treatment for ethanol that helps stabilize the fuel that in your tank and I've noticed an improvement in both my dakota & my jeep. I've had my jeep for about 5 years and I used to get 20 mpg highway, since 10% ethanol 17 w/ A/C 18 w/o. It's not a dramatic improvement but it helps with driveability.

Another thing you can try is using seaform. Any vehicle with over 30,000 miles will have carbon deposits either on the intake valves, exhaust valves, combustion chamber or throttle body. Running seafoam in your vehicle at least once a year can help keep your engine running smoother, quieter, and more efficient.

Old 08-20-2011, 07:41 PM
wingman_214
Veteran

I love me some seafoam. Greesed lightning's fuel injector cleaner is great too.

Quick Reply: Questions about improving gas milage