3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Questions about improving gas milage

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 07:14 PM
08_Dakota
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about improving gas milage

Hey Guys,

I am looking for some inexpensive ways to improve fuel milage on my Dak. I have it all stock right now. I have heard that putting in a K&N air filter and switching exhaust to the Magnaflow will increase it about 10 MPG is that really true? Any thoughts on what others have done? Thanks. I am new to the truck world

Old 08-15-2011, 07:20 PM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

10MPG.....Ummm....Hell no. It really comes down to your driving habits.

It's a truck, and mpg's are gonna suck.

Old 08-15-2011, 07:24 PM
wingman_214
Veteran

Woah, 10 mpg?

Those mods will help a bit but not 10 mpg. The only real way to increase mpg is to keep up with regular maintance. Tire pressure, air filter, spark plugs, ect, and laying off the throttle.

Old 08-15-2011, 07:53 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 338 Likes on 302 Posts

these trucks are rated for 14-18....after all the mods I have done to mine, I get squarely 16 in my combination highway/around town driving. Maybe I'll see 18 sometimes on trips, but mostly high 17's. NOTHING will get you 10 MPG more, if you see something advertised like that, run in the other direction....it's a scam....like those "mystery" chips on ebay, promising 100 hp and 50 mpg...lol...your best bet is a light foot. A cold air intake, low restriction muffler maybe will get you +1 mpg...but you'll be in the throttle so much, cause it will sound so cool...it will negate any mpg increase because of the mods....my anyway....

Old 08-15-2011, 08:42 PM
EliteTempleton
Veteran

If your spark plugs are stock I think (im no pro) that's you best place to start. Grab the right autolites for your engine (I think the 08's have two plugs per engine) and get 'em in.

I get 13.5 city, and I think I got it up to 16 on my hyw trip back from Chicago. It said 12.6 when I picked it up from the dealership. All I've really done so far is an oil change and gear oil to Royal Purple. So either previous owner liked the gas petal more than I do or got stuck in more traffic.

What about tire size? Will a set of 245/45/R16's give better gas mileage than 265/75/R16's? -Random tire sizes for example only.

Old 08-15-2011, 08:53 PM
08_Dakota
Rookie

My truck doesn't tell me what MPG I am getting. I wish it did. I really have no idea. The dealer told me that it would get 20 MPG HWY and 18 City

Old 08-15-2011, 08:58 PM
Eimer123
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Intake +1, more power created by intake actually makes it -1 lol

Magnaflow Exhaust +1, amazing sound and more power that you will want to hear more often makes it -1 lol.

Old 08-15-2011, 09:16 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 338 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by 08_Dakota
My truck doesn't tell me what MPG I am getting. I wish it did. I really have no idea. The dealer told me that it would get 20 MPG HWY and 18 City
08 2X4, V6, extended cab, automatic: 14 city, 18 highway, 15 combined. If you have a 6 speed manual it goes up a bit to 16 city, 20 highway, 18 combined.

Check this out:

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/bymake/dodge2008.shtml

I find it interesting the 08 running E85 gets an awesome 9 mpg city!

Last edited by jkeaton; 08-15-2011 at 09:33 PM.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:30 PM
EliteTempleton
Veteran

Originally Posted by 08_Dakota
A salesperson at the dealer or a service department worker?

My salesman said my truck would turn rainwater into vodka but it's already rained and... no dice.

Old 08-15-2011, 10:37 PM
Blu3P0ny
Professional

On my quest to 20 mpg thread, I will be updating soon, I list some mods you can do to help.
Here's the stuff that has proven to HELP and not hurt, so far.
1. A properly designed intake - with a shield to make it a HOT air intake on cooler mornings, and reversing the shield makes it a COLD air intake for those towing situations/extreme heat. The HOT air intake helps the engine get to running speed quicker, helping it to increase timing faster, and use less fuel thusly, to get where you're going.

2. A basic Chin Spoiler. I have one that goes down about 4 inches down from the bumper to basically be the same clearance as the frame and crossmembers.

3. An electric fan. I haven't done this yet, but it HAS to be an increase. Losing parasitic drag.

4. A cover over the bed is shown time and again to increase your mpg's. I recommend just getting a simple cheapo one that isn't much weight and is very tight across the top with NO ridges. I actually have a hard fiberglass one, which is very heavy, but is also aerodynamically the best other than an "aerocap" (google it)

5. Exhaust. A properly designed exhaust CAN increase your mileage, but believe me, no one really gets much more out of it cuz they can't keep their foot outta it. I believe our exhaust is a 2 1/4" and really that's plenty for our trucks. I would just get rid of the resonators and the muffler and get something like a cherry bomb or other straight piped muffler to replace them. That would be the best. Actually, the best for MPG's would be to get equal length headers and a performance Y pipe down to your 2 1/2" exhaust straight as possible out the back. Depends on how much money you want to spend.

5. Synthetic Oil. Proven 1 mpg in almost any vehicle. Minimum. Do the math. Longer times between changes and better mpgs. WIN WIN except for like 5 bucks more for the change.

Blue

Quick Reply: Questions about improving gas milage