3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Has anyone installed an oil pressure gauge?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 07:42 PM
lmrjason
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone installed an oil pressure gauge?

Looking into getting one and want to know what I am getting myself into.

Old 09-04-2011, 03:11 PM
remme
Professional

you need a 1/8" brass "T", a 1 and 1/16" wrench, a copper oil gauge line kit and about 30 minutes. Use the wrench to remove your oil sending unit thats right by your oil filter, install the brass T, install the oil sending unit into one end of the T and the copper oil line into the other, route it through a hole in your fire wall ( our trucks have several) to your gauge....done

Old 09-04-2011, 08:31 PM
jtmdakota
Amateur

Yes, except for the tubing. Don't know about others, but I don't want to feed oil through my firewall into my cab. Just get unit that has a sender and an electric gauge.

Old 09-04-2011, 11:31 PM
bruno426
Captain

Originally Posted by jtmdakota
Yes, except for the tubing. Don't know about others, but I don't want to feed oil through my firewall into my cab. Just get unit that has a sender and an electric gauge.
Get an electric one, its about 20-50 more, but then you don't have the possibility of oil leaking into the inside of your truck. They have a pressure sending unit similar to the one the truck has on it stock

Old 09-05-2011, 09:47 AM
MitsuRaider
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

YOu will need this:

IMAG0720.jpg

That T-fitting fits between your engine block and oil pressure switch. The extra hole (where the hose is connected) can be blocked off with a cap screw.

You can get the T here:

stealthmodeperformance.com

Old 09-07-2011, 07:47 PM
ericemery
Retired Administrator
Hall of Fame Member

there is a hex nut, by the oil filter. if you remove that, its a good spot to source oil pressure.

Like others have suggested, you can run an electronic gauge and sender. If you want to save the coin and get a mechanical, make absolutely sure you use copper line and not the crap nylon that comes with most. its very hot oil, that is pressurized. if it lets go, your cab will have that flowing.

Old 10-28-2012, 10:25 AM
Vinny- collins

Hi I have a 95 Dakota and I bought a gauge kit for the oil pressure and would I hook it up the same way you guys explained here I was just wondering because I read the service manual and it said the pressure sending unit was adjacent to the distributed I need help lol

Old 10-28-2012, 08:45 PM
thecause17
Veteran

Originally Posted by Vinny- collins
Hi I have a 95 Dakota and I bought a gauge kit for the oil pressure and would I hook it up the same way you guys explained here I was just wondering because I read the service manual and it said the pressure sending unit was adjacent to the distributed I need help lol
Good chance it's not in the same place on a '95 as on the 3rd gen trucks, different engines, different everything really. You'd probably have better luck searching the 1st gen forum or asking there.

Last edited by thecause17; 10-30-2012 at 05:48 PM.
Old 10-28-2012, 11:36 PM
Jaded
Record Breaker
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

You guys are right about that nylon tubing. I was riding with a buddy years ago when he started screaming and abruptly pulled over. The hose busted spraying hot oil on his leg - lol.

Quick Reply: Has anyone installed an oil pressure gauge?