3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Unfortunate? or Awesome? you tell me

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 11:07 PM
Lebbie54
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dsimm87
^agreed. if someone rear ended me and started to "rip me a new a-hole", it'd been lights out quick. youre lucky if she doesn't sue

on a lighter note. glad I now have a bull bar
Highly doubt she will for several reasons. 1. She probably doesn't have a Drivers License, 2. Probably doesnt have insurance. 3. Doesnt speak any english so she would have a hard time finding a lawyer to take her case. 4. Fear of being deported if she does anything.

Old 09-04-2011, 11:26 PM
SamuraiDak
Amateur

Geez, I'm new to Daks and know they look tough but now i know they ARE tough!

Old 09-04-2011, 11:26 PM
08XDakota
Captain

^ lol........glad to see your ok man

Old 09-05-2011, 12:12 AM
muddinbill
Rookie

Originally Posted by jtmdakota
She might be a bad driver, but did anyone get charged? Round here you would have been charged with following too close, or something similar.
Yes I got a citation for Unassured Clear Distance, because technically in the end it was my fault.

Originally Posted by ballsout
could there not be a lot more hidden damage where your bar on the front of your truck is attached though?
yes there could be but i have already checked and the bull bar mount is just fine, but either way the bull bar is ruined so have to get a new one.

Originally Posted by TomZ
You were towing a load. Did the brakes (if any) on the trailer operate correctly? With a 3k load, any answer other than "yes, absolutely", immediately shifts the blame to you. From the 2005 Dakota Owner's manual:

•Trailer brakes are recommended for trailers over 1,000 lbs (454 kg) and required for trailers in excess of 2,000 lbs. (907 kg). •

The severe braking you did (if without proper trailer braking) shifted the trailer load (in part) to your rear bumper, unloading your front tires some, increasing your stopping distance.

Rather than hit the stopped car, she stopped quickly. Maybe she reacted slowly, or the person in front of her stopped quickly also. You were following too closely for the speed and load you were towing. Your error. What do you propose she should have done? Was she supposed to "know" A. You were towing a load? B. You couldn't stop in time? C. It was her responsibility to prevent the collision?

Seriously? Plain and simple: You were at fault. You screwed up. Luckily no one was injured.
I know that I was at fault, I never said I wasnt at fault. I obviously should have been following a little further but i was still pretty far and i guess at the time was not anticipating anything to happen, lesson has been learned though. and no there was not any trailer breaks on the trailer, there needs to be because it is a car hauler but its my dads and i was just borrowing it from him.

Originally Posted by dsimm87
^agreed. if someone rear ended me and started to "rip me a new a-hole", it'd been lights out quick. youre lucky if she doesn't sue

on a lighter note. glad I now have a bull bar
She will not sue, Im not even sure her drivers license was valid. She may be illegal. I will find out next week. and yes the bull bar was a wise investment. That saved me a ton of money on damage that could have been caused to my truck! =]

Old 09-05-2011, 01:17 AM
06Dak4.7Silver
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i found this hilarous because my girlfriend drives a focus..haha (: good thing all you lost was the bull bar and a couple scratches on your grill!

Old 09-05-2011, 08:19 AM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

That blows, I didn't think the bull bar would prevent that much damage to the Dak, sure glad it does though. In the pic of the Focus, she's giving you a hell of a look!

Hope it all works out for you.

Old 09-05-2011, 03:29 PM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That bull bar certainly did it's job!

Old 09-05-2011, 06:02 PM
BAdassR/T
Record Breaker

that was hilarious!

Old 09-05-2011, 11:42 PM
popsnbeer
Captain

awesome pics. yes, it was your fault...but awesome pics. That Focus got ****ed up! This should be an advertisement for Westin, haha! It makes me want to get one.

Old 09-06-2011, 04:46 AM
Backwoods18
Record Breaker

Damn man, glad your ok, but seriously that car got what deserved

Quick Reply: Unfortunate? or Awesome? you tell me