3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Will a sct tuner help mpg?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 02:16 AM
sethgtrx4
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will a sct tuner help mpg?

sup guys,

I think theres a leak in my gas tank...my truck is registering 8.5mpg on the overhead computer . Although I just added tsl tires but I feel like it shouldnt be this bad. with BFG AT's I was getting 13. So the question is...will giving my truck a proper (SCT) tune help find some more power and increase in milage in my HO 4.7? theres gotta be untapped potential in these motors. I got mild bolt ons...K&N, throttle body spacer, (noise maker) and a Flowmaster 50. I might get a custom Y-pipe built with hi-flow cats...but thats to much money for right now. Or maybe a Y-pipe with out cats? make it able to be bolt on and off when it comes time to smog. and cheaper... what do u guys think??

Old 09-28-2011, 08:04 AM
Racinartist
All Star

Holy knobby tires!

8.5? That's ridunkulous. I get 12-13 now and wanted to get aggressive treads but I'm gonna rethink that now. :/

Old 09-28-2011, 08:10 AM
sl2racer
Veteran

i am going to guess your tires may actually be the culprit.

Old 09-28-2011, 09:19 AM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

With my SC 3865, it did not help out with mileage at all. It always sucked!

Old 09-28-2011, 09:22 AM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

How much did you increase the size of your tires? Have you tried hand calcing the MPGs? The computer is only as accurate as you make it, if that makes sense.

I wouldn't necessarily say a tune is going to give you better fuel mileage. Its not really a fix all and as everyone knows, you can;t build horsepower without fuel. It, however, does improve the drive-ability. I would say overall (the past 2 yrs), I haven't gained nor lost mileage and that's running my Superchips canned tunes, again I have noticed better drive-ability, firming, more responsive shifting, and power throughout the rpms. I do get better mileage in some areas of driving and worst in others, so it all averages out.

Btw I do like the aggressive look of your setup...

Old 09-28-2011, 12:40 PM
sethgtrx4
Professional

Originally Posted by lghtngblt02
How much did you increase the size of your tires? Have you tried hand calcing the MPGs? The computer is only as accurate as you make it, if that makes sense.

I wouldn't necessarily say a tune is going to give you better fuel mileage. Its not really a fix all and as everyone knows, you can;t build horsepower without fuel. It, however, does improve the drive-ability. I would say overall (the past 2 yrs), I haven't gained nor lost mileage and that's running my Superchips canned tunes, again I have noticed better drive-ability, firming, more responsive shifting, and power throughout the rpms. I do get better mileage in some areas of driving and worst in others, so it all averages out.

Btw I do like the aggressive look of your setup...

Thanks man!

and everyone else for responding...My tires didnt increase in size that much. stock bfg's 265/70/16 i think? I went to a 31x12.50x16. but the dealer told me that super swampers run big...so maybe they're 32's. I feel like i didnt include enough detail in my mpg rating. Its only mesuring a very short distance, from my house to work which is about 2 miles give or take...but it includes going down a huge hill then coming back up it. it doesnt have any highway in the 8.5 mpg rating. maybe thats why? very crappy rating in town thats for sure! Im gonna fill the tank up and just see what milage I get per-tank. (distance in miles divided by how many gallons you fill up with) I also have done another tasteful mod you guys are gonna like. I have the run-cool hood louvers on my hood...ill post a pic as soon as I can.

Last edited by sethgtrx4; 09-28-2011 at 12:43 PM. Reason: tire size
Old 09-28-2011, 12:50 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

Those tires are killer! IMO, a tuner will not help at all with mileage because your always like, "whoa, I didn't know I had this much power, this thing is a blast to drive!" and your always on it...(at least I am...lol). Even when I tried the mileage tune with superchips, I did not see any real gain in MPG. I get a steady 16.5 mpg around town/driving to work (40 mile round trip) and maybe 18 on a highway trip if I keep the cruise on at 65 the whole way. 8.5 really sucks. I have not had that bad since high school when I had my 75 Camaro Z28 with an LT1 350 and a Muncie M-22 rock crusher 4 speed. Man I miss that car sometimes....

Old 09-28-2011, 12:55 PM
thunder98110
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

yup, exactly what he said ^^^^ cant keep your foot out of it.

Old 09-28-2011, 08:49 PM
damyankee84
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here are your 2 biggest problems that are killing your gas mileage. First- your only driving 2 miles to work. The engine never gets up to full operating tempature so your always running rich. And 2nd, Super Swampers TSL or anything they make are heavy tires so the extra wieght doesnt help. Also, a TB spacer is nothing but a useless paperwieght on anything but a carburated engine.

Old 09-28-2011, 09:15 PM
MoparMan1991
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by damyankee84
Also, a TB spacer is nothing but a useless paperwieght on anything but a carburated engine.
He did say the TBS was just on for making noise. . . .

Quick Reply: Will a sct tuner help mpg?