3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Security light came on, truck wouldn't start???

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 10:10 PM
phil74501
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Security light came on, truck wouldn't start???

Went to a store, come back out and start up truck. The security light comes on on the dash. The truck starts, but when I put it in gear it died. It did that two or three times. Then it started and stayed on. I made it home with no problem.

My key fobs don't work. The doors weren't locked. I haven't used the button on the keys to open or lock the doors for several months. Haven't had a problem with it. What could be the cause? Or was it just one of those one time things?

Old 10-09-2011, 08:18 AM
Eimer123
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Could have been one of those one time things, but if I recall, someone else had this problem, and it turned out to be the battery connections, or the battery itself.

Old 10-09-2011, 08:27 AM
phil74501
Professional

Battery should be pretty new. Like in the last year.

Old 10-09-2011, 10:57 AM
MitsuRaider
All Star

Right before my battery gave up I started having all sorts of electrical problems. But if your battery is only a year old i don't think that is your issue.

Old 10-12-2011, 10:18 AM
Robk1971
Professional

I've had it happen once where the truck didn't start and the little red dot light was on. I had to turn the key to off before the truck would start again. About a year before on one occasion the truck started fine, but the red dot light stayed on until I shut the truck off and restarted.

Apparently there is a module in the steering column that senses the key. Maybe something to do with that, but since mine has only failed to start once since I owned the truck I haven't really worried about it anymore.

I did have a similar issue the other day after I shampooed the engine though. The truck would fire then die after a couple of seconds. I had to turn the key completely to off before it would fire again. Unless I did that it would just crank. It did it about three times before it stayed running, but since I power washed everything, I can't say if it was the same issue; I didn't notice the red dot light this time. Probably just water got into something.

Old 10-12-2011, 10:57 AM
popsnbeer
Captain

Thread hijack alert...

Mine just did this this morning. Truck won't start. I was able to unlock the doors with the key fob but when I went to crank I got nothing except a small red security light on the dash blinking vigorously at me. Also, my CD changer was going crazy...not sure what that's about.

Ideas?

I had this happen ~3 weeks ago, pulled the battery and had o'reillys check it. It is a strong battery he said.

Ideas? I'm tired of these little electrical nuance things. About ready to get rid of this thing.

Thanks in advance for your replies :-)

Old 10-12-2011, 03:49 PM
phil74501
Professional

Whatever it was, it hasn't happened since Saturday evening. I've started it numerous times since then with no problem. I wonder if I didn't accidentally trigger something to make the security thing come on.

I'm like popsnbeers. I've had numerous electrical problems. One time when signaling to turn it started flashing at me quickly, as if the bulb was out. So I turned the opposite signal, and it did the same thing. Both bulbs going out at the exact same time? What are the odds of that. So when I get home I turn on the left signal, and walk to the front, then the back, trying to figure out which light was out. When I get to the back of the truck all the lights are blinking, like the hazard lights were on, but they weren't. Plus the tag lights were also blinking in unison with the rest of the lights. I was like WTH? Next day it didn't do it, hasn't done it since, and that was 2 or 3 years ago.

Lady I know has a 2nd gen Dakota, can't remember the year, and she has electrical problems with it. Lights go on on the dash, then just go off, nothing's ever wrong.

Old 10-12-2011, 04:13 PM
thunder98110
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

for 2gens if the security thing is activated and you try to put it in gear it will die. just some dumb security feature, that works but annoying if its set or w/e

Old 10-16-2012, 11:25 AM
red4x4

I'm having a simular issue. Just bought 2008 dodge ram hemi, went out to start it, it started but shut of in about 10seconds. Tryed again three times samething, now it wont start at all. During this time the red security light came on. Some one said it was the key? I'm getting those programmed today, but dont think thats the problem (needed extra ones anyway). Is it possible to just disable/remove the security lock system, I cant go on like this. The truck has been in the garage more than I get to drive! help please...

Old 10-18-2012, 03:59 PM
DodgeCACares
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by red4x4
I'm having a simular issue. Just bought 2008 dodge ram hemi, went out to start it, it started but shut of in about 10seconds. Tryed again three times samething, now it wont start at all. During this time the red security light came on. Some one said it was the key? I'm getting those programmed today, but dont think thats the problem (needed extra ones anyway). Is it possible to just disable/remove the security lock system, I cant go on like this. The truck has been in the garage more than I get to drive! help please...

Red,

How did everything go when the keys were reprogrammed? Did that resolve your problem?

Quick Reply: Security light came on, truck wouldn't start???