3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

545RFE Questions on how it should shift.

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 01:55 AM
FrenicX
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jkeaton
I read on here once that the dealer (via starscan) can change the button from od on/off to tow/haul and vice-versa...but for a cost (obviously)...so not sure what each mode does....I know on mine, it makes the trans do funky ****, so I never use it...I've had other makes (furd, shivy) where the tow/haul actually does something positive, but not on my truck...i'd like to know if others have different experiences...
Hey keaton, my tow/haul button definately kills my OD gear, it also seems to downshift a bit faster (not sooner) when passing or mashing it up a hill or whatnot. The main thing I notice, it down shifts sooner when decelerating, down an off ramp for instance.

On my 08 4500 6.7 I had two options, single press for tow haul which killed 6th gear and auto-down shifted, combined with jake break it was a very nice downhill assister. OD off killed 5th and 6th and all of the above. I wish I has that on my dak lol.

Old 11-16-2011, 04:55 AM
Backwoods18
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jkeaton
..i'd like to know if others have different experiences...
My tow/haul shuts off overdrive

Old 11-16-2011, 08:36 PM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never experienced that up and down shifting you mention on the stock shift schedule or the standard Superchips schedule. First thing I would do is check the fluid level to eliminate that as a variable.

Old 11-16-2011, 10:22 PM
Eimer123
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My tow/haul button, will kill the OD, but will reengage later in the shift schedule.

Old 11-17-2011, 05:33 AM
Cuban11182
All Star

Mine had a fluid change and still did it. The only thing I can think it that the Superchips is made for the Dakota, not the Raider.

After I paid for the trans schedule and adjusted it, it went away. IF only I knew what the superchips settings were I could diagnose where the problem was. Oh, well. I'm happy with the ability to change the points myself.

Old 11-21-2011, 01:53 PM
thecause17
Veteran

There should be no difference in the actual shift schedule hot or cold, except for torque converter lockup. The truck will not lock the torque converter until the transmission has reached a certain temperature. This is in my owners manual.

Tow/Haul on my truck limits both the torque converter lockup points, shift points, as well as OD on my truck. Mine will still shift into OD if I'm out on the highway and there's not much load on the truck for an extended period. It's even done this with a trailer on it, on the highway on a flat. As soon as there's any load though it will shift right back out.

Old 11-21-2011, 02:25 PM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Eimer123
My tow/haul button, will kill the OD, but will reengage later in the shift schedule.
Originally Posted by thecause17
There should be no difference in the actual shift schedule hot or cold, except for torque converter lockup. The truck will not lock the torque converter until the transmission has reached a certain temperature. This is in my owners manual.

Tow/Haul on my truck limits both the torque converter lockup points, shift points, as well as OD on my truck. Mine will still shift into OD if I'm out on the highway and there's not much load on the truck for an extended period. It's even done this with a trailer on it, on the highway on a flat. As soon as there's any load though it will shift right back out.
This and this... for what my tow/haul button does, it will hold some gears longer and down shift quicker too, enough said

Quick Reply: 545RFE Questions on how it should shift.