3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Transfer case bad?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 11:11 PM
daterxies
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transfer case bad?

Update

Brought truck home jacked it up and its definitely clicking when i turn the tire by hand in the transfer case. Are there any guides out there for a 05 dakota on replacing the tcase? Is it that hard to do if your able to do most other stuff (like brakes tie rods ball joints etc) or would it be over my head?

--------------------
So i was driving on the freeway about a week ago and all of a sudden it felt like my truck was slowing down and had to give it more gas... i pulled off into a park and ride and it sounded like (at the the time i thought) maybe the caliber broke and a peice of brake got stuck (it was click like something was grabbing then letting go, metal noise) Took the tire off and its fine, brake intact.

I decided to take it to midas and they said theres a hum coming from the transfer case and its bad and i need it replaced. I asked if thats whats making the clicking sound and he didn't really answer. I do know that the transfer case would start making noise in 4wd once i hit about 30mph, but it never effected 2wd.

Is it possible for the transfer case to effect the 2wd? (Would it make sounds without 4wd engaged) It sounds like its coming from the front (i thought driver sides tire) And it click at the pace of the tire moving, if i put it in neutral and press gas nothing is happening. its not a really fast click, like 1 loud click every 2 seconds, then once i get going it will be clicking very fast

ANY input is appreciated, i just want to get some other opinions before i drop a lot of money into it (which i dont really have ATM)

Thanks.

Last edited by daterxies; 11-20-2011 at 01:59 AM.
Old 11-18-2011, 11:19 PM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

That sound like the same situation that I had with my Explorer. It felt like something bogged it down while driving on the highway. Then I heard some rattling around while driving in 2WD (not too much), otherwise the truck felt normal. It ended up my transfer case was shot.

Old 11-19-2011, 12:54 AM
daterxies
Rookie

What worries me is it sounds awfully alot like the click (or tick noise whatever you want to call it) in this video

idk maybe thats not a clicking noise, but thats how it sounds.

Old 11-19-2011, 12:56 AM
daterxies
Rookie

When i get it home (have to pick it up tommorow) i think imma jack it up and see if the tire feels loose at all, like i said i know that theres transfer case problem once i go above 20, but thats only with 4wd engaged, id rather save up to fix that, and hope that its a cheap fix like a bearing for right now :-/ You cant really put it past some mechanics to just try to take you for the most expensive problem they can find....

also come to think about it the mechanic said its making a loud humming noise, but would a bad tcase make a humming noise? I know wheel bearings will make a humming noise when bad

Last edited by daterxies; 11-19-2011 at 01:15 AM.
Old 11-19-2011, 08:22 AM
rapta619
Professional

What type of transfer case do you have? I know I can easily do 50 in 4 wheel drive , but my moms 07 can't do over 20. plus hers hates dry pavement ,even the slightest dryness makes it shake rattle and roll. Idk why, other then different. Transfer case.

Just Must something I figure might help if u replace it.

Old 11-19-2011, 11:24 AM
sdsdsd
Captain

I believe there is a chain within the transfer case that can stretch and make clancking noises. A hum is usually a bearing.

Old 11-20-2011, 01:58 AM
daterxies
Rookie

Originally Posted by sdsdsd
I believe there is a chain within the transfer case that can stretch and make clancking noises. A hum is usually a bearing.
Yeah, as soon as i picked it up i brought it home jacked it up, and i was checking to see if it was the hub bearing, but it wasnt. When i would turn the tire you could hear something click in the transfer case.

Now i just have to decide if i want to get it rebuilt (Theres a place in milwaukee Engine Transmission Exchange which i heard good stuff on) or buy a used one, new ones out of the question because there over 1k bucks.

Are there any guides out there for a 05 dakota on replacing the tcase? Is it that hard to do if your able to do most other stuff (like brakes tie rods ball joints etc) or would it be over my head?

Old 11-20-2011, 08:48 AM
dimesismoneytoo
Professional

Speaking from experience, I just had a brand new tcase put in, the chain in your tcase is probably stretched and broken. and yes your tcase will affec your 2wd because of the horrible 4wd set up on this truck. It doesn't matter if you're in 2wd, your front drive shaft is always spinning, thus the front drive gears bin the tcase are always spinning.

I would have someone else install this for you. Especially if you're planning a rebuild.

Quick Reply: Transfer case bad?