3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Dakota for first car?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 01:04 PM
ram_fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Dakota for first car?

Hey guys, im pretty new here and I'm considering a Dakota for a first car. Im in high school and can get a car the next school year. The only thing holding me back is my parents. They they Dodge vehicles are totally unreliable and fall apart. Is there anything to convince them otherwise? Also, is a Dakota (2005-2008) a good first car? Thanks!

Old 11-21-2011, 01:30 PM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Any vehicle can be unreliable and can fall apart without proper maintenance. If you look for problems in any brand you'll find them. Why do you they think they are unreliable?

I have owned a Dodge since I started driving. My first dakota I put 150k miles on it, I bought it with 60k. The only reason I sold it was to buy this one and that it had began to rust out in the wheel wells, but what do you expect for 15 yr old truck...

Last edited by lghtngblt02; 11-21-2011 at 01:32 PM.
Old 11-21-2011, 01:36 PM
URBANRDNECK
Veteran
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

A dodge hater... I'm not in this generation for body style, since I'm a 2G But I do have their motor and haven't had any problems with it. As said before any car will have problems especially after you put a good chunk of miles on them. My Dakota is my first truck/car. I bought it when I was 16. It may not be the fastest thing in the world or the biggest meanest thing you can imagine. Honestly I love my truck, I made it my own. I will run this thing until it breaks in half and I have no regrets

Old 11-21-2011, 01:48 PM
EliteTempleton
Veteran

I drove a 1st Gen Dak around in H.S. - worked well for me. Till I totaled it...

What state/province are you in?

If gas mileage is a concern I'd point you toward 2nd gen Dakota's, they're less thirsty. I drove one of those around for most of the last decade. If I were looking at 2nd Gen's I'd personally narrow my search to the 545RFE Transmission which means 2003-2004.

Old 11-21-2011, 01:52 PM
EliteTempleton
Veteran

Originally Posted by URBANRDNECK
Honestly I love my truck, I made it my own. I will run this thing until it breaks in half and I have no regrets
Yep, loved mine too, only reason I traded up was that I had to go from an extended cab to a Quad Cab to make room for mini-me.

Old 11-21-2011, 02:22 PM
ram_fan

thanks guys. I'll look into the second generation if they don't drink to much gas. I'm in Iowa so 4wd is a must. my parents had Dodge vehicles in the 80s that didn't hold up well, but that was 30 yrs ago too. thanks for the feedback guys!

Old 11-21-2011, 02:28 PM
Dakkkota
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you want to save gas...you should look at an other truck...and stay away of the 3.7

Old 11-21-2011, 02:32 PM
rebel4055
Veteran

If you take care of a car it will take care of you... Sad to see some people have a car for a long time and not even service it. I have a 2006 3.7 2wd, gas really isn't that bad on it considering. I've also changed the plugs and got a aftermarket exhaust so something like that may have helped.

Old 11-21-2011, 02:32 PM
URBANRDNECK
Veteran
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by EliteTempleton
I drove a 1st Gen Dak around in H.S. - worked well for me. Till I totaled it...

What state/province are you in?

If gas mileage is a concern I'd point you toward 2nd gen Dakota's, they're less thirsty. I drove one of those around for most of the last decade. If I were looking at 2nd Gen's I'd personally narrow my search to the 545RFE Transmission which means 2003-2004.
My gen. is less thirsty? Wow never thought that was possible. You guys must have terrible mileage

Originally Posted by EliteTempleton
Yep, loved mine too, only reason I traded up was that I had to go from an extended cab to a Quad Cab to make room for mini-me.
The Quad Cab's are great aren't they? I love mine

Old 11-21-2011, 02:34 PM
geofft225
Rookie

My 3 gen Dak is my first car, got it about 2 years ago, its been running great since then. I didn't even know this 3 gen existed till i saw it. Only problems ive had was that my windshield wipers shorted out and my power locks were acting up. Other than that i love the car. Ive made it my own and become to really love the truck. Yes its not the biggest or the best. Its not mpg friendly, but it will keep you happy. Plan on keeping the truck through college hopefully(im a senior in high school).

Quick Reply: Dakota for first car?