3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

DYI Bedliner

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 05:29 PM
Reject
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rengnath
I used Herculiner on my 94 Chevy and it held up just fine. I scuffed the entire bed and then used Xylol (as stated in the instructions) and applied it to the surface before rolling on the bed liner. Herculiner would be my only choice as I haven't read very any good reviews on the others. I would suggest sanding the bed as much as possible before applying anything. I would also recommend the UV protectant with the Herculiner as mine faded bad in a year, but remained shiny where the sun didn't hit as much.

I was going to do a roll on for this truck, but I recently found a Mopar drop-in bed liner on craigslist for $50. I couldn't pass up that deal.

Ive hear and Scuff pad is all you need to do, Thats what I did for my bumper.

I hate drop in liners lol I found they scrap the paint off and rust under them and we use lots of salt in winter so if it gets under there ur SOL lol

If anyone in NS, Canada wants a drop in, lol free.
Also got a old plastic toolbox I used in the old 2000, Meant for rangers and such tho barely fit lol

Old 12-03-2011, 01:09 PM
EliteTempleton
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was undecided between the Herculiner & Raptor kit after doing alot of reading/internet searches. I was leaning toward Raptor as it comes with a gun.

For prep I was going to find a garage I could use for 24 hours and wire brush the whole thing, then make sure it was very dry.

However, last Thursday my wife said she didn't want to worry about the truck bed anymore (twist my arm... ) and we made a Line-X appointment for our Quad Cab bed w/over the rails NO tailgate Black w/premium coating (UV Protection): After 6% Michigan sales tax: $518.xx

Next summer I'll probably still look at a tintable kit (I know the Raptor is, not sure about Herculiner) for other parts of the truck like the wheel wells, tail light guards, etc.

Old 12-06-2011, 12:44 PM
EliteTempleton
Veteran

Well they goofed and I got my tailgate done w/premium coating; for free.

Old 12-06-2011, 01:36 PM
rengnath
Champion

For my rear wheel wells, I used Rustoleum underbody rubber coating and it worked out perfect. I was going to do the Herculiner, but I got 2 cans of the rubber coating for $9 on sale from Autozone. It did the job. Im not sure what Im going to do about the front radiator support yet .... Im thinking Ill use Herculiner for that.

Old 12-06-2011, 11:58 PM
06Dak4.7Silver
Record Breaker

I did my front rad support a couple weeks ago. My buddy had the can of bedliner and I actually just taped off the bumper and what not and did the rad support with a brush. Came out excellent! I just need a can to hit spots the brush couldn't reach such as behind my off road lights. Did two coatings and now it looks great (:

Old 08-13-2012, 11:01 AM
DM_kota
Professional

I ordered Monstaliner this morning, got a free quart of their chassis saver and free shipping becasue I am on jeepforum. $134 for the whole kit. Looks like I have my next-next weekends project

I will take pics and put up the results.

Old 08-13-2012, 02:08 PM
Holbrook.Jeremy
Professional

I used the Duplicolor bed liner with kevlar and I'm not happy with it at all. I rescuffed the entire bed (It was already really beat up from work) and ended up priming the sides and rails with acid etching primer to get a better stick. I'm wishing I had done the whole bed with it because the liner is already chipping and peeling out of the bed. I'm afraid to pressure wash the bed because I think a lot of it will come back out. I was going to use http://www.sprayonbedliners.info/order.html but thought I'd try the duplicolor since it had kevlar and was readily available. I was quoted close to a grand to do linex so that's not happening.

Old 08-13-2012, 06:49 PM
dimesismoneytoo
Professional

I think I'm gonna try the herculiner stuff once I get some money.

Old 08-13-2012, 07:35 PM
Reject
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Holbrook.Jeremy
I used the Duplicolor bed liner with kevlar and I'm not happy with it at all. I rescuffed the entire bed (It was already really beat up from work) and ended up priming the sides and rails with acid etching primer to get a better stick. I'm wishing I had done the whole bed with it because the liner is already chipping and peeling out of the bed. I'm afraid to pressure wash the bed because I think a lot of it will come back out. I was going to use http://www.sprayonbedliners.info/order.html but thought I'd try the duplicolor since it had kevlar and was readily available. I was quoted close to a grand to do linex so that's not happening.

I used the Dupli-Color Bed Armour and before I even got my bumper off the table it was peeling off. Red did it in the cheaper stuff I used before came out great.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:13 PM
ODXBeef
Professional
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DM_kota
I ordered Monstaliner this morning, got a free quart of their chassis saver and free shipping becasue I am on jeepforum. $134 for the whole kit. Looks like I have my next-next weekends project

I will take pics and put up the results.
I did my fender lips, rockers, front bumper, and lower door panels with monstaliner a few weeks back. The stuff is TOUGH. However if its warm out and you are doing the application outdoors be prepared for it to start drying very quickly.

Quick Reply: DYI Bedliner