3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

New Member, Lots of Questions.

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 12:42 PM
AirForceDakota
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Member, Lots of Questions.

Hey, so Last month I bought a 05 Crew Cab SLT 4X4. And so Far its been a great truck and I want to make sure it stays that way, So I want to go through and do all the General Basic Time change Items so I know that they're not original ones. So...

Spark Plugs- Just the normal Champion or something else....
What about the Rest of the Ignition System anything else that I should change? I do have Just about 100K...

Exhaust- Its quiet... To Quiet I want to fix it. I've been looking around at Exhaust kits, but it seems like a lot of people just remove the resonators and replace the muffler. Is there a Real Difference in performance between a kit and just reworking the stock exhaust? And from what I've read, it seems like the Y pipe is the real restriction?

Thanks for all the info far. This forum has been a wealth of information.

Old 12-03-2011, 12:56 PM
rengnath
Champion

On the ignition, the only thing that should be replaced unless youre throwing a code or are experiencing another problem are the plugs. Replace with Champion, Autolite, or NGK copper cores. You can go a plug range colder, some say it helps smooth out the rough idle the 4.7l has. It didnt help on mine. Copper cores will yield the best performance however.

For exhaust, I went with a MBRP dual exhaust and I lost some torque, but gained it in the top end. She became a real screamer after I got rid of the OEM. Alot of guys on here chop up their stock systems though and just change out the muffler and remove one or both of the resonators. The y-pipe is where alot of the restriction is though, from what I have read.

Old 12-03-2011, 07:52 PM
AirForceDakota

I'm Not having much luck finding just a Y Pipe? Where Do you guys Order your parts from? We don't seem to have much of a real Aftermarket for these trucks.

Old 12-03-2011, 08:06 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

Yep, you will not find much aftermarket support for our trucks. Not sure about a y-pipe. MIght be better to take it to a muffler shop and have one made up when you get your exhaust done. Welcome to the forum! Post up some pics of your truck!

Old 12-03-2011, 08:22 PM
thunder98110
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i bought a magnaflow y pipe off ebay for less than 30 shipped. but the mufflershop said there wasnt enough room to install it between the trans and frame. not sure how tight it is in the 3gens.

Old 12-03-2011, 08:23 PM
08XDakota
Captain

I have a new Magnaflow y-pipe 3" inlet, 2.5" outlet(s).......if your interested......bought it from him^

Old 12-04-2011, 12:06 AM
AirForceDakota

Originally Posted by 08XDakota
I have a new Magnaflow y-pipe 3" inlet, 2.5" outlet(s).......if your interested......bought it from him^

Thanks for the offer. I'll have to see what everything is going to cost from an exhaust shop first.

When it comes to changing the fluids on the Diffs, Do we have fill plugs on the Cover or do we fill them up some other way...

Old 12-04-2011, 12:19 AM
DM_kota
Professional

Originally Posted by AirForceDakota
Thanks for the offer. I'll have to see what everything is going to cost from an exhaust shop first.

When it comes to changing the fluids on the Diffs, Do we have fill plugs on the Cover or do we fill them up some other way...
Might as well stay in the same thread, what are ppl putting in their diffs? I am thinking royal purple or amsoil

Old 12-04-2011, 12:58 AM
EliteTempleton
Veteran

Originally Posted by DM_kota
Might as well stay in the same thread, what are ppl putting in their diffs? I am thinking royal purple or amsoil
I've got RP in mine.

Old 12-04-2011, 01:51 AM
Eimer123
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DM_kota
Mobile 1 Full Synthetic here.

Quick Reply: New Member, Lots of Questions.