3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

New Member, Lots of Questions.

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 02:28 AM
FrenicX
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DM_kota
Might as well stay in the same thread, what are ppl putting in their diffs? I am thinking royal purple or amsoil
Redline GL-5 with friction mod.
http://www.redlineoil.com/Products.aspx?pcid=4

Old 12-04-2011, 10:56 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

plain ol factory goo. 75k miles. rear is still full and looks good. hardly ever use 4x4 so I aint worried about the front diff because it surely cant be any different than the back one.

Old 12-04-2011, 07:03 PM
AirForceDakota
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So If I wanna change the fluid in the rear to a Full synthetic, Do I need to add a friction modifier or is that not needed...

Old 12-04-2011, 07:07 PM
FrenicX
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by AirForceDakota
So If I wanna change the fluid in the rear to a Full synthetic, Do I need to add a friction modifier or is that not needed...
If you have a limited slip, it's not a terrible idea. A lot of synthetics have a modifier already in them.

Old 12-04-2011, 08:31 PM
Backwoods18
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by jkeaton
plain ol factory goo. 75k miles. rear is still full and looks good. hardly ever use 4x4 so I aint worried about the front diff because it surely cant be any different than the back one.
i am now off road more than on. Since i hydrolocked my motor and spent a whole night with my diffs underwater i better change the fluids. God, i feel like I'm driving a JK (wrangler) lol. I know its OT, im sorry. 16-17 cold ones in it deosnt mattwr lpl

Old 12-04-2011, 09:11 PM
macgollabhride
Professional

Originally Posted by AirForceDakota
Hey, so Last month I bought a 05 Crew Cab SLT 4X4. And so Far its been a great truck and I want to make sure it stays that way, So I want to go through and do all the General Basic Time change Items so I know that they're not original ones. So...

Spark Plugs- Just the normal Champion or something else....
What about the Rest of the Ignition System anything else that I should change? I do have Just about 100K...

Exhaust- Its quiet... To Quiet I want to fix it. I've been looking around at Exhaust kits, but it seems like a lot of people just remove the resonators and replace the muffler. Is there a Real Difference in performance between a kit and just reworking the stock exhaust? And from what I've read, it seems like the Y pipe is the real restriction?

Thanks for all the info far. This forum has been a wealth of information.

I just replaced what was left of my exhaust (Cat-back) about two weeks ago. I was going to replace the Cat also but I was told that it was in great shape and that it looked to be a performance-type Cat of some kind so, I kept it.
I was also going to run dual Ex but didn't want to open up Pandora's box to make it worth the price.

Anyway; I wound up jumping on Amazon and buying a Dynomax 17219 Ultra-Flo Welded Muffler for $60-shipped, Magnaflow 15031 2.5" Stainless Steel Exhaust Tail Pipe $51-shipped and another 2.5" stainless straight-pipe with an 02 sensor boss to go between the Cat and muffler. I didn't know much about DynoMax but the price was right so I didn't expect a miraculous change in performance. I was happily surprised how well this setup worked out for me - I'm really happy with it!
Choosing a muffler is really about personal taste but I can attest to the fact that my Dakota has a hell of a lot more pick-up, I've noticed a MPG savings and it sounds great/how, I think, a truck should sound (not obnoxiously loud but a nice low growl).

Good luck!

Quick Reply: New Member, Lots of Questions.