3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Does this sound like a tire balancing issue?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 01:55 PM
daterxies
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does this sound like a tire balancing issue?

When on freeway once i hit 55-60 (Not everytime tho, sometimes i can go a few miles before it happens at that speed) my truck will start shaking super bad and i can feel it in the steering wheel and when i hit the brakes it starts shaking even worse until i come to a complete stop, then its gone again.

ive just put a ton of money into my truck and i am getting broke because of it. Mechanics said my Tcase was bad, bought a new (used) one and my bro in law installed it (at least it was only 500 bucks that way) to only find out it WASNT the tcase making a loud click sound, it was actually my rear left tire wheel cylinder in drum.

Also when replacing wheel cylinder should you replace the drum and springs with it to? He didnt replace my drum or springs and whenever i accelerate from a stop i hear a knock coming from that drum *SIGH*

Old 12-05-2011, 03:24 PM
Alfons
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by daterxies
When on freeway once i hit 55-60 (Not everytime tho, sometimes i can go a few miles before it happens at that speed) my truck will start shaking super bad and i can feel it in the steering wheel and when i hit the brakes it starts shaking even worse until i come to a complete stop, then its gone again.

ive just put a ton of money into my truck and i am getting broke because of it. Mechanics said my Tcase was bad, bought a new (used) one and my bro in law installed it (at least it was only 500 bucks that way) to only find out it WASNT the tcase making a loud click sound, it was actually my rear left tire wheel cylinder in drum.

Also when replacing wheel cylinder should you replace the drum and springs with it to? He didnt replace my drum or springs and whenever i accelerate from a stop i hear a knock coming from that drum *SIGH*
The very first thing that I would do is to find a new mechanic/garage and get a reading from there as to what they think the problem is.

If this was a jeep, I'd say that you had what's generally referred to as "death wobble", and can be caused by one or more of the following type of issue:
  • Bad steering linkage/ball joints,
  • Bad steering damper,
  • Poor alignment,
  • Bent or unbalanced wheels.
Beyond that, for me, it's difficult to go much further with your description, but I'll give a quick stab at your "click" & brake issues. The "click" around the transfer case could easily be a U-joint that needs to be fixed (it wouldn't surprise me if your current mechanic never went under your truck). The brake situation needs to be looked at closer and if it was my problem, I'd take the drum off to see what that mechanic did - there are lots of things he could have assembled improperly or left undone. I'd also take a close look at the cylinder to see if that really was changed and then re-assemble it all properly. The drum doesn't need to be replaced when you replace the cylinder and the springs are usually replaced when you change the shoes. Assuming that the drum and shoes are in good shape, the "auto adjuster" screw assembly and the parking brake linkage can easily be screwed up if the mechanic was in a hurry or cutting corners.

I'd seriously consider having someone else review all the work that garage did and would also consider getting some legal advise.

Old 12-05-2011, 04:03 PM
FrenicX
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So the drum knocks when you accelerate and it starts to wobble at speed until you slow down?

sounds like the lugs might be loose, or the wheel is seated badly. loosen and retorque the lugs and test drive.

Old 12-05-2011, 06:29 PM
daterxies
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies.

Originally Posted by FrenicX
So the drum knocks when you accelerate and it starts to wobble at speed until you slow down?

sounds like the lugs might be loose, or the wheel is seated badly. loosen and retorque the lugs and test drive.
My truck has been shaking for a while now, i just would not go about 60 and i didnt have to worry about it, but it needs to get fixed.

The drum knocks only ONE TIME when i accelrate from a stop. Kinda like its locked up and gets stuck but ends up releasing when the tire turns.

My Tcase still makes a click, but now its only when in 4wd as the front tire spins. Before it was replaced it would constantly click in 2wd and 4wd. So im guessing its not my tcase, but something directily connected to it. Maybe axle?

Last edited by daterxies; 12-05-2011 at 06:31 PM.
Old 12-05-2011, 07:20 PM
Alfons
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by daterxies
..... So im guessing its not my tcase, but something directily connected to it. Maybe axle?
In case you missed it my previous post, it could be the drive shaft U-joint - not hard to check out but you'll need to crawl under the truck to do that.

Quick Reply: Does this sound like a tire balancing issue?