3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Front reciever hitch? with winch?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 07:26 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Longlivedakota
I've actually done quite a bit of research on this because it has been something that I have really been interested in doing.

From what I found you need a standard 2" front receiver, like this one. Just remember when you install the front mounted receiver you loose the tow hooks. But like Hammer said, the sky's the limit when it comes to hitch accessories. (You can always use one of these)

You then need the winch which you can be somewhat flexible with the brand. Just remember you get what you pay for. I personally like Warn. They have 2 pre-built portable receiver mounted winches. But their equipment is pretty expensive.

I would personally stick with #1 because it's rated line pull is 6000 lbs. And the receiver is only rated at 5000. So that should be more than enough.

I hope this helps and if anyone wants to correct me, feel free. This is just what I've found from doing a bit of research.

I agree in getting a Warn if you can afford one. I have three, the oldest of which is seven years old and that one was used to clear timber in a good size section of my small farm property as well as vehicle "unstucks" and it still operates like it did the day it came out of the box. My old man has had the same Warn 8274 since I was in junior high in the early '80s and it still runs on the 4th truck he's had it on.

They have a new "VR" series which competes better on price with the Chinese made winches that have started dominating the market lately. Still built right here in the USA in Oregon, still carry a lifetime warranty.

BUT a Chinese made winch still beats having no winch and can be had in the 8000 lb. range for under $300, 6000 lb. ones can be found for under $250... Portable mounts can be had for under $50 for a 6000# winch and under $75.

If you end up purchasing a winch, PLEASE take the time to learn how to properly use it. Winches are fantastic tools with a plethora of uses besides just getting a vehicle unstuck, but if used incorrectly they can seriously injure or even kill you or bystanders.

With the prices of some of these Chinese made winches out there now, like the Harbor Freight, I honestly don't know why more people don't have them. Now around my circle of friends (mostly all big time hunters and fishermen), I'd say three in every five guys have one, but unless you frequent outdoors/off-road or Jeep specific forums they aren't too common. A down-right rarity on DF.
But get stuck ONCE and see what a flat bed tow will cost you ONE TIME vs. the cost of some of these inexpensive winches. Yeah, for any regular use, I'd opt for a Warn or Ramsey, but for just that one time insurance policy, these Chinese winches are just fine...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 12-15-2011 at 10:52 AM.
Old 12-15-2011, 11:24 AM
KS Cowboy
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw on Etrailer that Kurt made a front reciever, so I made something similar that i could also have tow hooks and a brush guard on it as well...

DSCN1616.jpg

DSCN1617.jpg

As you can see, it does hang a little low, so thats one of many reasons that i am designing my own bumper. I have madethe following. I will try and get a few photos of it on the truck. (the orange parts are the frame of the truck as best as i can measure it.)

It is possible that you can modify your own stock bumper to mount this beast behind it, but that would take some cutting and welding if you are willing to give it a try. I think that all in all i have less than 100 bucks tied up in this. That being said, i have machined all parts, and done the welding my own self. I do have a way to reinforce the frame where it attaches. I dont know how well it will work, but one of these days ill give it a try.

Old 12-15-2011, 11:30 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Yeah, I had never seen a Curt on the front of a Dak, but on EVERY vehicle I have ever seen one on it has hung low. On their one for the Grand Cherokee the receiver is actually BELOW the entire front bumper whereas the Warn comes out just below the upper bumper half, a good five or six inches higher which is a HUGE difference when it comes to angle of approach...

BTW nice work 'Cowboy. I picked up a set of 8000 lb. D-rings I plan to weld on my Warn front receiver but I've been waiting for another reason to come up to pull the front bumper off. Kinda lazy to go through all that just for the five minutes it'd take me to weld them on. Now if it was my truck and not my daily driver where I'd NEED them on, it'd be a whole 'nuther story...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 12-15-2011 at 11:34 AM.
Old 12-15-2011, 12:06 PM
KS Cowboy
Veteran

Thanks!

Here is the latest version of my new bumper: This is probably revision 5 or 6 of it. I havent had much time lately to work on it.

The big holes are for the factory Fog lights, The D-tabs are cause i dont know how to mount hooks to this thing, and then you got a cross drilled 2" reciever. I dont know why i put the cross drilled holes in there. I know why i put one in, but i guess i was bored when i did the second set.

Old 12-15-2011, 02:43 PM
EliteTempleton
Veteran

When you think you have seen every hitch accessory there is you stuble across things like this: Bumper Dumper

Old 12-15-2011, 02:46 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Here is my hitch/winch setup. I custom made my front hitch from an 80's Chevy van hitch and just made custom brackets to mount up to the frame. I bought a Smittybilt XRC10 10,000lb winch from my local 4wheel drive parts. I got the hitch mount from Harbor Freight. When I did my SAS I Welded up the hitch up to the frame and reinforced it. For me I love this setup, sometimes you might be on a trail that you can't turn around to help someone behind you or you need to winch rearwards. Pull the pin (Which is locked with a key) disconnect the wires and take it to the rear. 2-3mins tops. I got two 0 gauge cables running to the rear to power the winch on the positive side. 140 amp alternator, dual yellow top Optima batteries.

Here is how tall the setup was before my SAS with stock suspension. At the bottom of the fairlead 21in.

Here is a side view of the winch, right now very good clearance. 2ft 5in at the bottom of the fairlead.

Here is it installed on the rear hitch. 2ft 2in at the fairlead.

Old 12-15-2011, 04:01 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Originally Posted by EliteTempleton
When you think you have seen every hitch accessory there is you stuble across things like this: Bumper Dumper
We stopped in Bass Pro on the way to camping about two years ago and they had them. We laughed our a$$es off, but one of the guys almost pulled the trigger on the thing. I think he would have bought it had it not been for the other four of us laughing so hard at the thing...

I also have one of these, have used it off the back of my truck numerous times but haven't put it on the front (or the back) of the Jeep yet:

Old 12-15-2011, 05:30 PM
KS Cowboy
Veteran

Originally Posted by EliteTempleton
My Dad took a piece of 2" square tube and welded a piece of 1/2 round bar shaped like a dumper seat , and wraped it with some pipe insulation. It was kinda nice. I gotta get me one for the next time i go camping, or atleast the next time i take a girl camping with me.

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
We stopped in Bass Pro on the way to camping about two years ago and they had them. We laughed our a$$es off, but one of the guys almost pulled the trigger on the thing. I think he would have bought it had it not been for the other four of us laughing so hard at the thing...

I also have one of these, have used it off the back of my truck numerous times but haven't put it on the front (or the back) of the Jeep yet:

I used to have one that was mounted to a tire, and it would launch them 9 ways to november. THen i took and mounted it to some 2x2 and it is great now. Sticks out the back just enough that i can have the gate down and still use it.

Old 12-15-2011, 05:51 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Me and a buddy went halfsees on ours at a flea market, used but barely. Guy was asking $75 and we knew they went for around $100 new if you could catch a good sale. We walked around for maybe an hour and came back and offered him $40, he came back with $60 so we told him we'd take it if he met us in the middle at $50. So for $25 a piece we've used the hell out of it for about four years now. Only thing I've had to replace on it is the pull string.

It throws well, might falter every now and then when you load doubles, but that's even pretty rare...

Old 12-16-2011, 08:07 AM
smitty21
Professional

Dinger838....i hope your still gonna post those pics. i have been thinking of doing the same thing.

Quick Reply: Front reciever hitch? with winch?