3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

amp hook up high/low

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 02:00 PM
krazyistkarl
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default amp hook up high/low

I searched around and couldn't find the answers I need.
So im wanting to hook an amp up to my factory head unit, iv got a high-low filter but i don't really want to tap into the factory harness behind the unit. One of my questions is do I need to tie into both front speakers or can i just tie into one? i have my front passenger kick panel off (not the infinity system so no factory amp) and Iv found the wires that go into the door for the front right speaker and id feel more comfortable tying into that for my signal then tie into my cigarette lighter for my switched power. Or another option is I was wondering if there is a female to male harness that will allow me to hook up between the factory harness and head unit and tie my filter into those wires. so something like this (factory harness)--->(extension) tie filter into extension ---> (factory head unit)
And lastly, I cant seem to find the color codes for the harness!

Old 12-17-2011, 01:08 PM
krazyistkarl

nothing? id really like to get it in this weekend. I called a few shops and no one makes a t harness, so il just have to tie into the factory harness. I still need colour codes though

Old 12-18-2011, 08:43 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

sorry, i dont know much about this stuff. pretty sure the service manual in the sticky section has wiring diagrams in it for the stereo.

Old 12-18-2011, 11:05 AM
cruzer23

u can tap into any 1 speaker wire.

color codes for speakers? best way i found out was to take door off and see which run to tweeter, which run to door speaker

Old 12-18-2011, 12:53 PM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

What year is your Dakota? The colors are different for some years.

Old 12-19-2011, 09:23 AM
Six_Shooter
Veteran

Tie into a pair of speakers. I assume this is for a subwoofer? If you tie into only one speaker you will only get half the signal, both in information and amplitude.

If you're really that concerned about tapping into the harness, you can get both the male and female harness. Connectors, made by Metra, Scosche and a couple other companies, then connecting them together wire for wire, also tie in the high to low level converter. I think this is over kill for tieing in 4 wires though.

www.the12volt.com should have colour codes for your truck.

Old 12-19-2011, 11:16 AM
krazyistkarl

Alright thanks for the input guys. Sorry I forget to mention it was an 07. I did try to remove my door panel but it was pulling of my vapor barrier a well so it stopped with that. I decided that it is really a little over kill for the few wires I needtoo splice In so I will just tie into the factory harness. The only ones that gettied in behind the stereo are 4 for the speakers the switched 12v ok have to get from somewhere else, where did you guys get your switched power from?

Old 12-19-2011, 12:13 PM
cruzer23

u can use the power wire from the harness for power. for aux, i had to run a wire from fusebox. the aux to the factory harness for my truck was full time power which would drain my battery.

Old 12-19-2011, 12:33 PM
reagor
Professional

if tapping the factory harness, dont use "scotch locks" or t-taps, strip and solder all connections because the others will fail in time and give you a crappy signal long before they fail, also if the converter requires power/ground dont tap the ground from a harness use a bolt or self tapping screw to a clean peice of body metal, the shorter the ground the better

good luck

on a completely diff note what factory radio do you have? is it the setup with the external amp? if so you can theoretically tap the signal goin to the amp and not need the high-low converter

Old 12-19-2011, 01:37 PM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

2007 Dakota (base with no amp)
Speaker wires should be colored as follows.

Right Front
(+) Gray
(-) Gray with Brown stripe

Left Front
(+) Dark Green
(-) Dark Green with Brown stripe

Right Rear
(+) Gray with Dark Blue stripe
(-) Gray with Orange stripe

Left Rear
(+) Dark Green with Dark Blue stripe
(-) Dark Green with Orange stripe