3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

system suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2005, 02:52 AM
maikle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default system suggestions?

i wanna put a small system in my truck but there's no room for an amp or subs. i have the new quad cab and i can't think of anywhere to put it unless i take out a seat. i'm willing to put a bazooka tube in it underneath the back seat behind the driver, but i'm not sure if it'll fit there..has anyone tried anything like that? yea, im not looking for a lot of power since my old truck just had too much bass. anyone have suggestions? also i was wondering if there was a kit out yet for the head unit.

Old 08-04-2005, 02:01 PM
Drakkon
Professional
Default RE: system suggestions?

I've actually played around with this idea...and unless your ready to do some serious work I'd say its not worth it. I really prefer the closest to stock look without wires or holes in the body though so heres what i went though.
From looking into whats out there there is a adapter kit to put a reguar DIN style reciever in there:
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-kPh7GAo...0&I=142CR1286B
But there is no harness adapter that i can find yet so your stuck playing around with wires for power/turn on/ground/etc to wire it all up. Really though i swapped my regular CD reciever for the RAQ AM/FM Radio, 6-DISC CD with MP3 Capability:
http://dodge.autowebaccessories.com/...2_683_5948.php (can be found on EBAy already MUCH cheaper, i got mine for 180 shipped)
This works great, sounds great, and has been able to read every mp3 disk ive burned on decent media (wouldn't read a disk i burned on some cheapo media, so have to stick with fuji, memorex, etc). You can tap the speaker lines for RCA outs with an adapter and still get a decent signal so for anyone interested in a head unti I'd say this is the way to go.
As for amp install in a quad cab, I know what you mean by there isn't much room to wrok with. I have a dual proted enclosure from my old car and i couldn't fit it back there. Persionally i don't like bazooka woofers cause they just dont sound right compared to real subs, but it appears that they are the only thing that will fit back there really. I've fit a smaller amp where the baby seat can go, but to me it ruined the stock look so i took it out. Removing the rear seats really gives no extra room and just leaves crappy looking holes where they used to be i think. The conclusion i came to was the only way to make it look ohkay is go single powered enclosure (non ported) with a good 10-12" sub in between the two seats, but then again that like right in your ear: http://www.cardomain.com/item/INFBASSLINKII
My next plan is to replace door speakers and maybe even go components once if i can figure out a good small amp that produces enough power...

Old 08-04-2005, 02:36 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

hehe...I used to own a 2001 Dakota ClubCab and was a member of a dakota forum. This guy JMII has an 02 QC Dakota. His website shows some interesting ideas on how to do a system setup. Granted, you have an 05, and you may want more subs, but this may really help you get an idea of how to do it.......the icons are hyperlinks, click on one and it will show you pictures.....enjoy!

http://www.blueoceanpress.com/~stora...es/stereo.html

Old 08-05-2005, 08:42 PM
maikle

drakkon you have been a huge help, but im not getting where the infinity basslink will go. i drive aquad cab so there really is no room in the middle of the back seat because it'll just be sitting there not secured with screws or anything. does this sub fit underneath the back seat? thanks for the link to the mp3 player though, i was thinking about just getting that instead of putting an aftermarket unit in. my old truck had a system in it so im over al lthe crazy gadgets now..just want some clean sound and a convenient mp3 player.

Old 08-05-2005, 09:56 PM
Drakkon
Professional

Hmmm well I'm not sure about quad cab, i have a club cab myself unfortunately so there is kinda room there. The dimensions are on the page though (12 1/2" W x 14 1/2" H x 8" D) so i'd say get out a tape measure and see what might fit the basslink comes in 10" but there are others from other companies in a variety of sizes http://www.cardomain.com/shoptype/Enclosed+Subwoofers
i usually use some industrial velcro to secure subs so they can be removed at any time if the need for room comes up I used it to secure a 15" enclosure once and never had any trouble with it moving around

Old 08-06-2005, 05:26 PM
maikle

ah thats a great idea to secure the sub w/ velcro. i think i'll just put it on the floor behind the driver seat or maybe even just attach it to the back of the seat. thanks a lot for the help, you got some great ideas :3)

Old 08-06-2005, 05:46 PM
swerve

I switched out the factory Infinity speakers on my laramie (yes they do suck...really bad) with some high end MB Quarts and I'm still using the stock head unit. Sounds sooo much better.

Old 08-07-2005, 11:23 PM
ingar_87

look on ebay for a box if i am not mistakinve a special box for an 05 quad cab for under the back seats.

Quick Reply: system suggestions?