3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Do we have to replace upper control arm?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 01:09 PM
rebel4055
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do we have to replace upper control arm?

Is there any way to just remove the balljoint from the upper arm without having to get a whole control arm. Just wondering.

Old 01-14-2012, 02:10 PM
Eimer123
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I never really looked that close to how the upper ball joint is pressed in, but no one makes a replacement separate ball joint.

Old 01-14-2012, 03:16 PM
FrenicX
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So far it's the only option.

It would be cheaper, yea. But this way you get new upper control-arm bushings at the same time. I like that idea since it's a weak point in IFS.

At least our control arms aren't super expensive though.

Old 01-14-2012, 04:48 PM
Dakkkota
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

auirbagit offer upper with GM balljoints

35017363972_large.jpg

Old 01-14-2012, 05:24 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

I thought we were supposed to stay away from airbagit?

Old 01-14-2012, 05:34 PM
MonkeyWrench4000
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

May I ask you why you want to replace just the ball joint? It would be much harder...

Replacing the upper control arm is a simple job. Easier then changing your oil. Jack up the truck under the lower control arm. When you take your front tire off, you only have 3 bolts to deal with. Take the one off the end of the ball joint, hit the knuckle with a hammer, and the arm will pop off the knuckle. Then, remove the two bolts holding the control arm to the frame. Slide the new one in and bolt it all back up.

No alignments needed. The upper control arm is a non-adjustable unit, and does not contribute to alignment in any way shape or form.

If you can unblot 3 bolts, you can do this.

It literally takes longer to put a spare tire on. Simply unbolt the upper arm and bolt the new one in, then drive away. It would be just as many steps if not MORE to do just the balljoint. Plus, as was mentioned, this replaces your control arm bushings as well, since they come on the new arm.

Last edited by MonkeyWrench4000; 01-14-2012 at 05:40 PM.
Old 01-14-2012, 06:02 PM
FrenicX
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by MonkeyWrench4000
No alignments needed. The upper control arm is a non-adjustable unit, and does not contribute to alignment in any way shape or form.
This is true, however there is one thing to note. If the truck was aligned at some point with worn parts, (maybe the shop didn't notice a bad balljoint or worn control-arm bushings) the new parts will bring it back to stock position and
as a result, back out of alignment.

If it were me, I would take it in if it feels like it's out, or if I knew it was aligned with bad parts.. Otherwise I'd just leave it be.

Originally Posted by jkeaton
I thought we were supposed to stay away from airbagit?
I think we should be objective about it. A control-arm shouldn't be too hard. The only moving part is a GM part, so it just comes down to welds and proper angles.

I wouldn't touch their airbag products.. lots of reports there..

Last edited by FrenicX; 01-14-2012 at 06:07 PM.
Old 01-14-2012, 07:35 PM
rebel4055
Veteran

I want to replace the entire arm. My buddy insists that the ball joint is just pressed in and you can get it popped out and put a new one in. I wanted to see for sure what's going on. I've researched this truck up and down on this forum to know what I need to know. But he insists I just need to get the ball joint pressed out and back in.

He also insists that they aren't bad because the tires have no abnormal wear and the wheel is straight.

Last edited by rebel4055; 01-14-2012 at 08:15 PM.
Old 01-14-2012, 08:19 PM
FrenicX
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by rebel4055
I want to replace the entire arm. My buddy insists that the ball joint is just pressed in and you can get it popped out and put a new one in. I wanted to see for sure what's going on. I've researched this truck up and down on this forum to know what I need to know. But he insists I just need to get the ball joint pressed out and back in.
Your buddy is 100% right. One catch, no one sells the balljoint. So enjoy the new control arm.

I've talked to so many mechanics/would-be mechanics/friends/acquaintances, told them my woes of owning this truck with it's lack of support, and they all say the same thing; "I'm sure someone makes one, check with (insert random manufacturer or parts store here)" I never check, ya know why? Because I know better, I just let them believe they know what they are talking about because it's the polite thing to do.

BTW, about your edit, if it's not bad, is there a reason why you're replacing it? Are you trying to diagnose a knock or something?

Last edited by FrenicX; 01-14-2012 at 08:23 PM.
Old 01-14-2012, 08:28 PM
rebel4055
Veteran

It's starting to squeak really bad going over bumps and when turning the wheel. Tax check is coming up and just wanted to get a new suspension on the truck. It just hit 50,xxx miles. What he insists on is they do sell a ball joint for the upper and I can get it pressed in at where ever. He said he called the part store and said they do have the ball joint. I know for a fact they don't. I just want to get a lot of info on the subject before I confront him again. But what he says goes. You can't tell him different.

Last edited by rebel4055; 01-14-2012 at 08:32 PM.

Quick Reply: Do we have to replace upper control arm?