3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Lockable center console

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 10:08 PM
Designer
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lockable center console

Anyone have a lockable center console. Would love to be able to secure a gun or something in there.

Old 01-15-2012, 10:19 PM
FrenicX
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

but then you have to unlock it to roadrage..

have you thought of one of these? they don't make one for our truck, but small one from another vehicle may fit.
http://www.corporatetravelsafety.com...ult-p-570.html
or these
http://www.fleetsafety.com/Hand-Gun-...and-Wesson-507

Last edited by FrenicX; 01-15-2012 at 10:21 PM.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:24 PM
erau
Veteran
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Designer
Anyone have a lockable center console. Would love to be able to secure a gun or something in there.
A gun is not secured in a lockable console or glove box. The locks pop open like nothing.

Get a small coded vault, drill a u-bolt into it, chain to the seat bracket. Not completely indestructible, but would take much more time, effort, tools, and noise to remove or open than a pry bar and leverage on a console.

I can reach mine behind the passenger seat and open it with a four-finger button combination without even looking. Stays covered so it can't even be seen through the windows.

Last edited by erau; 01-15-2012 at 10:29 PM. Reason: Added info
Old 01-15-2012, 11:18 PM
Designer
Rookie

@frenicx, exactly what I want. Before I designed one that bolted into the center console to the floor I want to see if anyone has already done this. I don't want a visible box in my cab. Wonder if there would be an interest on this forum if I designed one to Frey the cost by making 10 or 20 of them.

Old 01-16-2012, 02:02 AM
durapu
Professional

some/most have a Large center consol that just flips open with a push of the button you could always build a lock box inside this and everything would look stock and easily accessed without advertising you have a gun .. only downside is you lose the storage space...

Old 01-16-2012, 02:35 AM
FrenicX
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you build them, you probably know this, the console lid has that extra thickness for whatever reason. I can fit one soda can where the 'tapes' go and that's it. So the surface of the compartment will be about .5 inch away from the rim. That's with center seating flipdown one. I'm interested though, what kind of price are you roughly estimating?

Last edited by FrenicX; 01-16-2012 at 02:37 AM.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:35 AM
durapu
Professional

Originally Posted by FrenicX
If you build them, you probably know this, the console lid has that extra thickness for whatever reason. I can fit one soda can where the 'tapes' go and that's it. So the surface of the compartment will be about .5 inch away from the rim. That's with center seating flipdown one. I'm interested though, what kind of price are you roughly estimating?
But If like Mine you have the center consol that does not allow seating I am Able to fit a 64 ounce fountain Cup (from Hess) and still close the lid and not crush the straw ...

Old 01-16-2012, 10:18 AM
Designer
Rookie

Originally Posted by FrenicX
I would probably be looking at a permanent fix, cutting out the CD case ribs and adding a recessed lock. Using the existing screw for the console as a lockdown point or adding more. Don't know the cost, I'll work up a cad file and a set of prints and see what a local shop will charge to cut and bend. A lockable console will only keep honest people honest, the determined crook comes prepared and can usually deal with most obstacles.

I'll start work on my design this week, work is kind of slow right now.

Quick Reply: Lockable center console