3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Exhaust idea for my next project

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2012 | 04:20 PM
FrenicX
|
Record Breaker

Ok, so I started piecing this together and made some changes to the plan. I already got the cats. I went with 2 1/2" Magnaflows instead of spintechs because they were $80x2 and have the O2 bungs already welded on. I got a magnaflow 2x2.5" in to 3" out Y-pipe for $27, and then I went big on the muffler and got a Spintech 3" in-out. After the Y will be 3" to the muffler, and then to save some more money I bought the 3" tailpipe from the single-out flowmaster kit for our trucks, off jegs. I talked to a shop who will weld up my cats and bring piping to the Y for $100

So for now it's a single exhaust just to give the hemi swap something to breathe through. Just about $500 head to tail, not bad I think, considering.

edit, I wanted to go dual, but this setup is what I will do first. Later down the road it will be a true dual with xpipe. It won't be hard to add that because I will have the muffler shop extend the two a little further past the crossmember.

Last edited by FrenicX; 04-04-2012 at 02:15 AM.
Old 04-29-2012 | 06:03 AM
05dodgedakotav8

Has anyone tried to do exhaust out before the rear tire? Haven't been able to find any info on it being done on a 3rd gen. Would like to try it, but unsure on how it will sound, and if it being under the frame (doesn't look like I could go over top) will be an issue.

Old 04-29-2012 | 09:39 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin

Originally Posted by 05dodgedakotav8
Has anyone tried to do exhaust out before the rear tire? Haven't been able to find any info on it being done on a 3rd gen. Would like to try it, but unsure on how it will sound, and if it being under the frame (doesn't look like I could go over top) will be an issue.
First of all, welcome to DF! There are a lot of guys running the exhaust out in front of the rear tire. I'm sure they will chime in.

Old 04-29-2012 | 12:09 PM
FrenicX
|
Record Breaker

I have thought about it myself actually. But I decided not to because I would have to go down from the muffler, U around the frame, and then out the side. It will work but in my opinion, a bit unsightly since you can already see the frame from the side of the truck as it is, any exhaust that isn't dumped or run out the back will stick out like a sore thumb. It will also be much easy to snag on stuff if you go offroad.

As far as making it look better and keeping some ground clearance, you can get oval or even nearly flat and wide pieces. Spintech carries some different types.

Old 04-30-2012 | 08:49 AM
donkeypunch
King Jackass

Originally Posted by 05dodgedakotav8
I actually planned on doing this, until I started mocking up the system. For ground clearance purposes, I just dumped the exhaust before the rear axle with a turn-down. And, I didn't feel like creating a new hanger at the time.

Old 04-30-2012 | 05:17 PM
durapu
Professional

I've done it on my 3rd gen ... I prefer out the back to be honest .. sounds just fine infront of the rear tire but it's where I stopped because I didnt know if I wanted to continue with one pipe back or split it into 2 .. I had the 2 on my second gen and I likes how it sounded and looked .. but for now I have other places to put my money

PS been running out the side for about a year now ... never any complaints about how my truck sounds only compliments

Old 04-30-2012 | 05:48 PM
06Dak4.7Silver
Record Breaker

Unique and has only gotten compliments..I like it as well, sounds great. If I had a choice though I would get the MBRP Stainless Dual Out system with a Magnaflow Y pipe and some nice black tips out the corners of my bumper
IMAG0255.jpg
IMAG0253.jpg

Old 04-30-2012 | 06:39 PM
FrenicX
|
Record Breaker

That does look pretty damn good. When I thought of out the side, I was reminded of that Nightrunner from last week how it just stuck out there "hi, I'm a rusty tailpipe. How you doin'?"

But that rectangle looks good.

Old 04-30-2012 | 08:38 PM
06Dak4.7Silver
Record Breaker

Thanks..they key is it has to be stainless. It gets dirty but is easy to clean

Quick Reply: Exhaust idea for my next project