3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Push/Brush Guard

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 11:35 PM
italiandominator
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had to play with mine for a bit to for it to line up just right. Might take a little bit to make it look right, but trust me it's worth it, rather than it always bugging you to know it's off or to look at it and want it fixed.

Old 03-08-2012, 05:24 PM
Reject
Record Breaker

Went to the dealer, they called said my parts where in.
I got there, Knowing I wanted ATLEAST 1 new Tow-hook bolt.

Well the dumass that was working last week only ordered 1 Bolt, 1 Upper and 1 Lower Bushing. I wanted 2 of each incase I had to damage mine getting them out. So I planned to get 2 new bolts, and 1 Upper since I had them order them in. Guess I only get 1 Bolt and 1 Upper, O well.

Old 03-10-2012, 06:26 PM
Reject
Record Breaker

Well I was on my way out the door today to install my new bolt. Only to find out my dad back my moms new car into it, pushing it out of alignment enough my hood wouldnt open as the grille hit it. I planned to align it all up today, as it was off to one side more anyways. He hit it hard enough to crack the bumper on my moms car... that she only got about 3 or 4 months ago.
He also only hit 1 side upright, not both. Good think I had it, or he would have did more damage to my front bumper.
We have a crush at the bottem of some of the driveway he was backin over, so he needed some speed and was watching my bros car on the other side.

Old 05-13-2012, 03:00 PM
Zombifyd
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know I'm reviving yet again another older thread, but seeing how I'm going to have to do a lot of work on my car soon I might as well as replace those bolts. Because I have a grill guard getting ready to go on. Anyways I was wondering if I just cut off the bolts from the bottom. All I would have to do is lift off the rest from the top and buy two new bolts and two new isolators? If that's it then awesome!

Old 05-13-2012, 03:51 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

Yes, that's it. Bolts and isolators are expensive, though.

Old 05-13-2012, 05:55 PM
Zombifyd
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not as expensive as wasting money on a grill guard. Lol. I don't mind the few extra bucks.

Old 05-13-2012, 08:32 PM
Reject
Record Breaker

There is 2 Body mount bushings. This is the top one, The bottom unless it looks bad should be fine. Both are around the same price. The bolts, I stripped threads on both my original ones, but 1 of them still tightens good.

You can cut the heads off, and pull them up. But The battery Box might hinder the Drivers side, and I think there is something on the pass side, not to sure.
Heating them you could possible destroy BOTH bushings to.

Removal of Body Mount (Tow Hook) Bolt
I had to fire a Self taping screw into the top of my bushing to stop it from spinning, and used LOTS of PB Blaster. One side took 15 min, other 45 using a breaker bar, as a ratchet I couldnt apply enough force to move it at all.

Removal of Body Mount
I used a crowbar to help pop my old (drivers side) one out when I had it all taken apart 2 weeks ago since I didnt bother when I did this, as the new bolt went it fine. Now It was easy to use the crowbar, I didnt have the Inner Fenders, or even the fenders on.
If you remove the rubber behind the grill (drivers side) between the Rad and Headlight, you might need to unbolt the horn, you should be able to get at it not to hard, mine was rusted into place some. you might not need a crowbar. You could try to thread the bolt in from the top, and pull it out since it only sits in the bottom bushing.
Or just remove the inner fender which is a PITA since the clips are not reusable, and the splash guard has to come off to.
Pass side im not to sure of since I didnt replace it. Im 90% sure its alot easier to get at (at-least for use V6 guys)

Once you get it on, Only Tighten the 4 Bumper, and 2 Body Mount Bolts. Dont tighten all the ones on the guard, and the 2 that mount one plate to the other. This will help you adjust it after. MAKE SURE your hood clears it before you tighten it. Since you wont be able to open/close it if it doesnt.

Last edited by Reject; 05-13-2012 at 08:35 PM.

Quick Reply: Push/Brush Guard