3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Ball Joint ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 09:43 AM
KS Cowboy
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Ball Joint ?

When yall replace the lower ball joints, Do yall replace the entire control arm, or just the ball joint its self? Is there any reason to replace the entire lower control arm? Are there any other parts on the lower control arm that needs replaced? AND (final question, I hope for now) when doing the uppers, do i need to replace the bushings?

Thanks Yall!

Old 02-15-2012, 09:59 AM
FrenicX
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Bushings come with the new upper arm and balljoint assy, lowers you can just get the balljoint, there are bushings but replacing those will mean you have to get an alignment, and chances are they are still good.

I would get an alignment for uppers anyways, personally. And I would also replace the whole lower arm too just because I'm thorough like that. Nothing feels better than a new front end. But that's just personal preference.

Last edited by FrenicX; 02-15-2012 at 10:14 AM.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:24 PM
BrandNew
Professional

Originally Posted by FrenicX
Bushings come with the new upper arm and balljoint assy, lowers you can just get the balljoint, there are bushings but replacing those will mean you have to get an alignment, and chances are they are still good.

I would get an alignment for uppers anyways, personally. And I would also replace the whole lower arm too just because I'm thorough like that. Nothing feels better than a new front end. But that's just personal preference.
I replaced everything just like he said

Old 02-15-2012, 08:56 PM
Eimer123
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just recently replaced the upper control arms (Moog greasable ball joint included).

I also replaced just the lower ball joints (Moog greaseable) They press out and press in.

Old 02-16-2012, 12:12 AM
KS Cowboy
Veteran

I was planning on getin the Moog greasable upper joint/arm assy. As well as moog greaseable lowers. I got the moog end links, and LOVE THEM! also thinkin of getin steering end links, monroe coil over rear shocks (hopefully this will help with load control), and rancho front struts with a 2" leveling kit (are KYB any good? I havent heard any definitive reviews on them.). Just gotta save up money for parts and tools. Most of it all from rock auto.

Is there any reason to replace the front coil springs?

Are the lowers difficult to replace, and would i need many tools to do that? I found this on harbor freight... http://www.harborfreight.com/automot...-kit-4065.html Would it be better to take the controll arm completly off and use a hydraulic shop press to punch them out. ( i just had the lower joints replaced this summer. Not sure that they are bad now, but while i got the truck apart, wanna fix as much as possible. )

I was planning on getin an alignment after i do anything. I need one now, but just dont wanna do it now then in 2 or 3 months do it again. (may look into lifetime alignment from Firestone)

Old 02-16-2012, 12:56 AM
Eimer123
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can press out the lower ball joint with the control arm in the truck. You will need a ball joint service kit like you linked but keep reading.

I will mention that you need the correct size receiving tubes or you will never get then in or out. You will need two different sizes. I really should have wrote down the sizes I used. I do not know if that kit will have the correct sizes.

Might be cheaper to see if your local autoparts has a larger ball joint service rental kit

You will also need a nice big hammer to knock the upper off. If you are going to replace the uppers and do not care if you trash the boot, go ahead with a manual of air hammer fork.

I really see no reason to replace the coil. I do not know the life span on them, but you are probably ok.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:46 AM
Zombifyd
Professional

I didn't wanna start a new thread but will if I have to. When doing the upper control arms. Do I just jack up the car and fix it that way or just jack up under the control arm or both. I wanna do it myself very soon and want to know exactly what to do before I mess it up. Lol any help is appreciated.

Old 02-28-2012, 01:09 PM
KS Cowboy
Veteran

For replacement, you would need to jack on the frame. If you jack on the controll arm, when you pop the top loose, it could fall on you. The strut can help support where the upper is, but its probably a better idea not to rely on that. But when re assembling the thing, it might be nice to have a jack to compress things.

How does one test their upper and lower ball joints, with out tearing the things apart? Is it better to jack the truck up, or do it while its on the deck?

Old 02-28-2012, 03:13 PM
Zombifyd
Professional

Pretty much all mine have to be replaced... so as far as using a jack just jack it up like changing a tire and do it that way. And is it necessary for another jack to do the compressing or if you are strong enough can you do it with out an extra jack. Lol I know. I'm very slow. Lol

Old 02-28-2012, 07:32 PM
KS Cowboy
Veteran

Jack it up and put it on blocks/stands, then use the jack to compress the spring/strut, but thats just me, im a bit of a weakling, and lazy.

Quick Reply: Ball Joint ?