3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

are component failures common on 3rd gen Dakota?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2012 | 11:39 PM
Reject
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by jasonw
Autozone stuff is usually junk, in my experience, unless you get the good name brand stuff.

I buy a lot of stuff from Rock Auto now if it can wait. 99% of the time, they are half price of what you can get at Autozone, O'Reillys, Advance, or NAPA, and they almost always have all the good name brands. Currently trying Deeza parts on the wife's 2006 Durango (semi-similar to 2004-2007 Dakotas, I have read) for the sway bar links. Supposedly almost as good or just as good as Moog, and occasionally cheaper. Made in Turkey. We drove it for a while with none when we were waiting on parts (rather than dealing with the constant rattling noise over bumps), and we definitely noticed it, noticeably more lean in corners.
Yea, thats why I keep my Swap Bars, Less Body roll.
I have had 1 Wheel Bearing, Pass. Tie-rod, Both Sway Bar links, Both Lwr Ball-Joints, Both Calipers, Rotors and Pads. Im at I think 108k km (or 67kish miles) Also my Rear brakes need replacing, Intermediate Steering Shaft does, and Im replacing my Lwr Rad support due to it literally rusted off (We use tons of salt)

Old 04-30-2012 | 08:42 AM
donkeypunch
King Jackass

I didn't start having any real problems until 90K. Here's the list:

40K - Sway bar end links (I bought the upgraded factory units and they held up for over 75K. They are still in perfect shape, but I deleted both sway bars).

80K - Rancho 5000 shocks and struts (not because of failure, because I was sick of riding like a caddy).

90K - Upper control arms and outer tie rod ends

110K - front brake pad replacement (still had 10% life left)

Quick Reply: are component failures common on 3rd gen Dakota?