3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

"cai"

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012 | 10:30 PM
rebel4055
|
Veteran
Default "cai"

Just had to do it lol
P__2CFB.jpg

Old 03-15-2012 | 10:52 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin

paint that bad boy so people don't think you got a toilet in your truck somewhere...lol...looks good!

Old 03-15-2012 | 10:56 PM
rebel4055
|
Veteran

Yeah I will haha! I just wanted to get it done and over with for now. Now that it's all together I can paint it whenever. It made the exhaust sound more rubbley. I like it. Wonder what my gas thinks of it. Does seem to have better response.

Old 03-15-2012 | 11:01 PM
varnerhba
Veteran

Originally Posted by rebel4055
Yeah I will haha! I just wanted to get it done and over with for now. Now that it's all together I can paint it whenever. It made the exhaust sound more rubbley. I like it. Wonder what my gas thinks of it. Does seem to have better response.
make a heatshield,keep the hot air out, or get a ump filter kit

Old 03-15-2012 | 11:20 PM
slicktrick
Professional

i must've been tired when i got the k&n set up.
because if i had thought of this before i bought it, i wouldve done the same thing you did, but only maybe with the black ABS pipe instead.

however, i bet painting it the same as your truck body color would look cool.......or maybe that plasti-dip some fellas here like so much?

just drill a hole & get a grommet to fit the air intake temp sensor,fab up a heat shield & i doubt theres much difference in your set up & the k&n.

after i got the k& n & put it on, i honestly thought "d@m^, i couldve made that".. & you did , congrats on saving some $$, i like it

Old 03-15-2012 | 11:28 PM
rebel4055
|
Veteran

Thanks for the positive comments guys. Really enjoy reading them. I did this mod based on the FAQ. I spent a total of $61 even on the 3" 2' pipe and fittings, and the filters from O'Reilly's. Not bad. Walked right into Home Depot's plumbing and they had a little display of various sized pipes. Luckily they had that 2' piece there. Didn't want a whole section lol.

And what I did with the sensor is just drill a hole and ream it out. Then when I was able to I pushed the sensor all the way it and hot glued it to the rubber. Probably not a very long term thing but it does work. Plus the sensor is a very tight fit in that rubber coupler.

Last edited by rebel4055; 03-15-2012 at 11:31 PM.
Old 03-15-2012 | 11:47 PM
MoparMan1991
Record Breaker

Very nice. Glad to see other people doing this too. Although it will certainly help with air flow, the idea behind Cold Air Intakes is really a sham. It's more like a Mass Flow Intake as the intake temps are the same as what they were, unless you are drawing from the front of the car in from of the radiator or a fog light or something. And without a heat shield, im sure your intake temps are actually hotter than they were with your stock air box. And I also believe (Not sure whether the newer daks have mechanical fans or are all electric) that the fans blow the hit air right into the intake, which s why the stock boxes pull air from the fender/behind the headlight.

Old 03-15-2012 | 11:49 PM
rebel4055
|
Veteran

What I noticed with this is the fan blows cool air on it while it's idling. This was done at night as you can tell but don't know how the fan will do to it in the afternoon sun if it isn't raining. The tubing really isn't all that warm. What I also thought about doing is adding onto the piping maybe. Don't know if that could work or not.

Old 03-15-2012 | 11:52 PM
MoparMan1991
Record Breaker

It doesn't matter if the tubing doesn't feel warm. With an exposed filter like that the engine is sucking in the hot air from the engine bay regardless. Pickin up what I'm putting down?

Last edited by MoparMan1991; 03-16-2012 at 12:09 AM.
Old 03-16-2012 | 12:07 AM
KS Cowboy
Veteran

Looks great man. I had a buddy do that, and i have been thinkin about doing that also. it, Some people think that pvc will put off some nasty chemicals that aint good for you. CPVC would work fine, if it wasnt so expensive, and hard to come by. ABS plumbing pipe will shrink and expand with the heat too much for me to think of using.

Originally Posted by jkeaton
paint that bad boy so people don't think you got a toilet in your truck somewhere...lol...looks good!
Hay when i build my "fart car" it will have a drivers seat to toilet conversion kit, and it will be plumbed to the intake. A turbo will provide the necessary suction to make the "fuel" go to the motor. and with my farts, you could go for months with out havin to refill.