3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Performance upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 03:08 PM
northgator8
All Star
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by zcg4755
I didn't necessarily buy the truck for performance upgrades, but I just so happen to be in the market right now and I'm curious. Believe me, I know there ain't a whole lot. It's kind of unfortunate considering the potential our trucks have.

If you would have seen my stock air box, you would understand. With the K&N installed, it was a lot more airflow than the little 4.0L was used to. If you compare my '96 to an 01+ Ranger, the intake was one of the major changes. The estimated mileage was actually better with the older Rangers. More airflow, more horsepower, less mileage. That's what I've learned.

That's first in line! I can't wait.
Youth these days! There is no limit on performance mods. Just a limit on your imagination and talents!

Sure, there is a limit to off-the-shelf mods. But as we've seen in other posts, fabbed-up bumpers, light racks, fender flares etc., etc., can all be accomplished. Take a welding course and get some steel!

You know, too, your local machine shop can turn you a set of cams! Just tell them the lift, duration, etc., that you want and they can get it done! You might not be able to afford it, but it will be bad-assed!

Old 04-02-2012, 03:52 PM
zcg4755
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by northgator8
You know, too, your local machine shop can turn you a set of cams! Just tell them the lift, duration, etc., that you want and they can get it done! You might not be able to afford it, but it will be bad-assed!
Haha. I will figure something out, don't you worry!

Old 04-02-2012, 05:14 PM
MitsuRaider
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by northgator8
Youth these days! There is no limit on performance mods. Just a limit on your imagination and talents!
Exactly, nobody sold me a Mitsubishi Raider turbo kit.

Old 04-02-2012, 09:42 PM
Blu3P0ny
Professional

Cold air's and Hot airs....
Look, you want your truck to heat up to normal operating temperature ASAP for your mileage. ESPECIALLY if you have short trips. ESPECIALLY if you are driving in cold temperatures.
Also, you need to have a well designed unit, something with some math behind it. there are calculators online that take into consideration cam specs and everything.
I run a CAI in summer, and a HOT one in winter... all by just eliminating the shield or putting it back in. heats up faster in winter = MPG gain Cold air on a hot day = more mpg cuz your engine isn't cutting timing or feeding extra fuel.
You may be better off with a simple drop in filter for your needs. you won't see any loss for sure, but you will NOT see any gains that are anything measurable.

Now, as far as all that goes, switch to a FULL SYNTHETIC oil as it will help in the hot temps AND help your engine spin up easier in the cold. Really have to emphasis the cold temp starts with full synthetic. I noticed a difference pretty quick.

Next thing to look at is certainly the exhaust. The stock one is pretty restrictive after the Y pipe. Before that, like was said, not significant, and if you DID replace y pipe and headers, you will be bringing the power band up higher and it will be more difficult to get mpg's out of the truck unless you swap out gears to something like a 4.56.

Which leads me to another thing, go onto ecomodder's website and look around for awhile. You will find all the myth's and truth's about truck tailgates and covers etc. I suggest a flush mount lightweight fabric cover for your truck as it will be aerodynamic and light at the same time. Try to get one that is nice and tight.

If you wanna get pickier than that, you will have to get innovative, but the exhaust andintake are probably key.

Old 04-03-2012, 07:35 AM
northgator8
All Star
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Haha. I will figure something out, don't you worry!
That's the spirit - go get'em!

Old 04-03-2012, 09:17 AM
Barkleyfan
Rookie

This is exactly the kind of response I was looking for, thank you. Fortunately, money isn't an issue, but I probably won't waste money on small gains. I might as well give the CAI another shot. If I'm not happy with it, I can always go back to the stock setup. Chip, exhaust, and CAI it is. My father actually works at a Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram dealership, I'll see what he can do as far as the camshaft goes. Thanks again! Hopefully I can sell my Pontiac so I can finally start modifying the Dakota.
Unless you go with a custom grind, there is little point in looking into a cam. The 08+ makes more power than the HO models did IIRC. A lot of work just to go backwards... And even if you do look into a custom grind, it's pretty much a waste unless you grind it for a specific build combination, meaning intake, exhaust, etc. Cams are simply lift and duration. Unless you are taking advantage of flow characteristics somewhere in there, you are just spinning your wheels.

Quick Reply: Performance upgrades?