3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

08 4X4 standard trans VIN # Needed PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 05:33 PM
FrenicX
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MitsuRaider
Is there a thread for that tranny swap, I wouldnt mind reading it!!!~ Not that i can afford it right now...but hey...my tranny has to go bad one day right...

This is more relevant than EVguys swap, but hobo1 didn't do a writeup though. There is some useful info in his thread however.

http://www. type dodge talk here .com/forums/showthread.php?t=353142

Old 04-18-2012, 11:25 PM
EVguy
Veteran
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The trany swap part was easy.
The trucks are all designed for the manual.
The clutch pedal is a 15 minute job and $45 from the wrecker for parts. The holes to hold the shifter boot in the floor are all dimpled into the metal Just cut the hole and drill out the dimples.
Swap the junk tray in the console for the shifter boot.
It all snaps into the stock console.
So that's the mechanical part.
Don't even get me started on the electrical.

There are quite a few pictures here.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/75125279@N02/

BTW its not a 4BT its a common rail ISB170 which is much quieter and much more stock power, 170hp and 400ft/lb of TORQUE!!

Old 04-19-2012, 02:08 AM
FrenicX
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by EVguy
BTW its not a 4BT its a common rail ISB170 which is much quieter and much more stock power, 170hp and 400ft/lb of TORQUE!!
I stand corrected, happily

Made me curious to actually look it up, and I learned a bunch that i didn't know! There's the 4.5L too that's built with the 6.7? What would keep you from upgrading to that some day, electronics or price? I see it's got as much power as some of the 5.9s did. I heard you got it started for the first time, on cummins forum. Any chance of a sound clip?

Old 04-19-2012, 10:20 AM
Racinartist
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's the part that bothers me about tackling something like this. I doubt the expense of the trans, hydraulics, clutch pedal assembly, etc would be much from a junk yard. It's the electronic side that I'm sure would turn into a nightmare, and would probably be daunting enough to keep me from ever attempting a swap.

Without taking too much of your time, could you give some detail of how you worked out the ECM end of it? Swapped out for another module from a manual, got your current one recalibrated, or what? If what I've been told is true - that each ECM is matched to a vehicle's VIN and one is not transferable to any other vehicle - that would alleviate that possibility. And to recalibrate one from an automatic, you would need a programmer capable of making those changes to the computer. Which I'm not aware of one existing. So, the only viable option I see is a human (ie: nerdy gearhead. Haha) who is capable of cracking the ECM and rewriting the engine RPM and trans calibrations themselves.

Old 04-19-2012, 01:19 PM
EVguy
Veteran
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by FrenicX
I stand corrected, happily

Made me curious to actually look it up, and I learned a bunch that i didn't know! There's the 4.5L too that's built with the 6.7? What would keep you from upgrading to that some day, electronics or price? I see it's got as much power as some of the 5.9s did. I heard you got it started for the first time, on cummins forum. Any chance of a sound clip?
I think I should be very happy with the 3.9.
I just tow an 18' 5th and want as much fuel economy as I can get.
I hope to have it running again this weekend and will try to get a clip if I get the exhaust hooked up.
Still waiting on Silicone hoses for the turbo pipes, they are stuck in Custom's.
Canada Post SUCKS!

Quick Reply: 08 4X4 standard trans VIN # Needed PLEASE