3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Correct Rear Brake Shoe

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012 | 12:10 PM
thecause17
|
Veteran
Default Correct Rear Brake Shoe

I'm in need of rear shoes on my truck, but am a little confused on what I need to buy.

I understand that Dodge changed the rear brakes on these trucks sometime mid-year for 2006 I think. I have a 2007, and I have verified that I have the dual upper return spring setup, but I am not sure what shoes to buy. Not everyone is specifying which setup they are for. Advance Auto carries one rear brake shoe for these trucks, and the one review says he had to return them because they were incorrect (he had a 2006)

Rock Auto lists several manufacturers. Wagner, the brand I wanted to purchase, says they are for 1 upper return spring, so I can't use them. All of the others don't specify. NAPA doesn't specify either.

I was going to just go to the dealer and get them and be sure I'm getting the right parts. I expected a little more expensive, but they want $220 for the rear shoes and spring kit, which is rediculous, and they don't even stock them. That tells you how many they sell...

Can anyone tell me what you bought and if they were correct? Out of what Rock Auto has, I'd like to either order the Bendix or Raybestos, but don't want to order them if they are for the 1 return spring type brakes.

Last edited by thecause17; 04-17-2012 at 12:14 PM.
Old 04-17-2012 | 11:14 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin

I wish I knew. Auto zone does not stock either and don't know which ones to order.

Old 04-20-2012 | 12:02 AM
thecause17
|
Veteran

Anyone? I can't believe these stores don't stock more of these brakes, there a lots of these trucks on the road.

Old 04-20-2012 | 12:30 AM
Reject
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by thecause17
Anyone? I can't believe these stores don't stock more of these brakes, there a lots of these trucks on the road.
The places around here, cant even order the Pre-Assembled Strut Kit I want from Monroe (Yet its in their systems), and have to special order the normal Struts and Shocks lol, and a Internet Service Provider here has a fleet of 2wd 05-11 Dakotas.
Im just going to order my stuff online, since its cheaper and I can atleast get the struts and mounts. Since Monroe has no stock on the Pre-Assembled ones I wanted.

My rear brakes are due to, But I want to check my Axles for a TSB, To know if my knew ones will fix the problem I have with Vibration when braking at higher speeds. I already had the entire front brakes replaced.
I heard someone on here had BAD luck with Raybestos parts.

Last edited by Reject; 04-20-2012 at 12:33 AM.
Old 04-20-2012 | 12:54 AM
FrenicX
Record Breaker

They changed it in 06 iirc, did their computer give both options for your 07?

Originally Posted by Reject
Internet Service Provider
sympatico or cogeco?

man I miss the cable tv over there. free ****... utah stinks :P

Last edited by FrenicX; 04-20-2012 at 12:58 AM.
Old 04-20-2012 | 07:41 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin

what I was going to do when I need them is order both styles. Return the one that does not work.

Old 04-20-2012 | 02:33 PM
thecause17
|
Veteran

I ordered the ones from Advance today. It seems like this is the only option I have. Maybe some of you who have OReilly and placed that we don't have may have different options. Advance lists it as dual return spring for their Wearever Silver line, so we'll see if these are correct. They also listed a Wagner part number, but it was shown as discontinued, and I believe these are the same ones that Rock Auto lists as for single return spring.

Hopefully they're correct. They'll be in tomorrow, but I won't be putting them on until next week since I ordered the hardware kit from RockAuto, it was $10 cheaper than Advance, so I just added it to my order for front rotors and pads.

Old 04-20-2012 | 04:03 PM
Reject
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by FrenicX
They changed it in 06 iirc, did their computer give both options for your 07?

sympatico or cogeco?

man I miss the cable tv over there. free ****... utah stinks :P
Bell Aliant and Eastlink (Local to Atlantic Provinces) both ISP's have a number of them.

Old 05-03-2012 | 12:28 PM
thecause17
|
Veteran

Originally Posted by thecause17
I ordered the ones from Advance today. It seems like this is the only option I have. Maybe some of you who have OReilly and placed that we don't have may have different options. Advance lists it as dual return spring for their Wearever Silver line, so we'll see if these are correct. They also listed a Wagner part number, but it was shown as discontinued, and I believe these are the same ones that Rock Auto lists as for single return spring.

Hopefully they're correct. They'll be in tomorrow, but I won't be putting them on until next week since I ordered the hardware kit from RockAuto, it was $10 cheaper than Advance, so I just added it to my order for front rotors and pads.
Just to update everybody on this, it seems like the rear shoe Advance Auto Parts is carrying is the correct one. I installed them on my truck. The only problem I see is that they provide you with new upper return springs, but the inner spring they provide does not seem to be the correct one. I also ordered a Dorman brand hardware kit, and the inner spring for this kit was the same, and also would not work. It's too short and has a different bend on one end than the factory spring and I do not see how it would attach, so I ended up reusing my oem inner springs, and used new hardware everywhere else.

Old 05-04-2012 | 09:04 AM
sdsdsd
Captain

unbelievable you would think purchasing shoes and hardware would be eazy!

Quick Reply: Correct Rear Brake Shoe