3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2012 | 01:55 AM
marcsnyder05
All Star

I got the dimpled and slotted rotors and I like them. My old rotors were pretty easy to get off I kicked them once and they came off.

Old 04-27-2012 | 02:58 AM
FrenicX
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by marcsnyder05
I got the dimpled and slotted rotors and I like them. My old rotors were pretty easy to get off I kicked them once and they came off.

i cannot believe it! rotors were easy to get off in Alaska!?

I like my dimpled/slotted rotors too.

Old 04-27-2012 | 11:35 AM
marcsnyder05
All Star

Originally Posted by FrenicX

i cannot believe it! rotors were easy to get off in Alaska!?

I like my dimpled/slotted rotors too.
I changed my brakes when I was in phoenix. I would hate to change them now this past winter has made everything start to rust

Old 04-27-2012 | 12:48 PM
rebel4055
|
Veteran

My rotors are still free. I noticed that when I did the ball joints.

Old 04-27-2012 | 03:47 PM
06Dak4.7Silver
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by rebel4055
My rotors are still free. I noticed that when I did the ball joints.
Free Rotors! who wants 'em!?!

it is an easy job though...I lacked the elbow grease with the caliper bracket bolts so I took the end piece of the floor jack's lever and used that as a pipe to give myself the extra torque. Overall, easy as hell compared to a lot of the other vehicles I have worked on. Most important part of a brake job in my opinion is plenty of lube and using it in the right places. By right places I just mean don't get anything on contact areas such as outer surface of the disc and the lining of the pads. Brake work is fun in my opinion..and painting your calipers helps add to it!

Old 04-27-2012 | 09:28 PM
Holbrook.Jeremy
Professional

Brakes are easy on these trucks:

Have wire handy to hang the calipers
Have a large c clamp handy to compress the caliper
Have a bunch of beer near by

Double check all bolts are tight before putting the wheels back on.

Old 04-29-2012 | 09:56 PM
JimBio
Professional

Just changed the front pads on my 08, went with Wagner thermo quiet semi metallic and had the stock rotors turned. They work excellent and it cost me well under $100. The swap was very easy, the hardest part was getting the double piston caliper pushed back in but even that wasn't very difficult. The rotors came off mine super easy, a few even hits from the back with a rubber hammer while turning the rotors.

Did my wifes Expedition as well but used the Orielly Brake Best Premium pads and they are great brakes as well. No noise and smooth strong braking ability.

No need for drilled or slotted rotors unless your doing autocross or something.

Anybody know the life of the drum brake shoes on these trucks? That looks like a fun job.... not

Old 04-29-2012 | 10:07 PM
FrenicX
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by JimBio
Just changed the front pads on my 08, went with Wagner thermo quiet semi metallic and had the stock rotors turned. They work excellent and it cost me well under $100. The swap was very easy, the hardest part was getting the double piston caliper pushed back in but even that wasn't very difficult. The rotors came off mine super easy, a few even hits from the back with a rubber hammer while turning the rotors.

Did my wifes Expedition as well but used the Orielly Brake Best Premium pads and they are great brakes as well. No noise and smooth strong braking ability.

No need for drilled or slotted rotors unless your doing autocross or something.

Anybody know the life of the drum brake shoes on these trucks? That looks like a fun job.... not
Yea pushing the pistons back was the hardest part for me too, I didn't have a clamp lol. I used my spring compressor and the old pads, one piston ended up binding but I noticed before I wrenched too hard on it.

As far as the rears, I am not sure but I hope it's more than 64000 miles haha.

Old 04-29-2012 | 10:20 PM
rebel4055
|
Veteran

Are you happy with the wagners? I may see if I can get my rotors turned. Don't know if they are warped or not. Going to have to pay attention next time I drive it.

Old 04-29-2012 | 11:23 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator

Put Wagner Thermoquiet Ceramics on my wife's Durango's rear brakes when they needed replacing a month or two ago. They seem to work well, but squeak a bit when she brakes now. Not the ugly "replace me!" type squeak, but the "brand new brakes" type squeak, and only when she hits the pedal slowly. I may consider a different brand next time around, but it honestly could be her rotors need replacing after 85k miles.

Quick Reply: Brakes