3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Disabling Passenger Airbags '08 Dakota

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 08:41 PM
Reject
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Designer
I'll start with Don't do this. The airbag can be unplugged at the passenger source. There is a yellow cable with dead ground clips. Once unhooked they are dead ground and will not deploy. I have a switch on my '05 and I would think you could hook one up if you had the parts. Since new systems use a complex set of calculations to decide how fast to deploy if both the g-sensor and the BIT in the front don't agree it won't deploy.

The Dakota isn't really known for it's occupant safety, once the impact the driver has a tendency to move outward and down. Be sure to wear your belt as it sets your body up for the impact.
They problem with this is, If he gets in a accident and it doesnt deploy, He insurance company cant probably deny all claims as he altered a "Life Safety System" IE airbag

I assume new Daks dont have the harness for the switch, I would think once the Dash changed they eliminated it. Unless someone on here with a 08 has a switch, Then It would be there.

Old 05-02-2012, 06:38 AM
ali9771
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read a few places that said there was a switch, tho nobody has confirmed that.

The two dealers I spoke to said it couldn't be retrofitted because the wiring harness wouldn't be there.

I think I prefer the idea of a backseat. And it seems like it would be easier to install than a switch. And would give me space for both my kids.

I am going to call Dodge today and find out what exactly I need and if a bench seat was ever available...then go from there. A couple of posters offered me their seats, so I have someplace to start.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:33 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

There is not a rear bench seat for the extended cab trucks. Only the jump seats.

Quick Reply: Disabling Passenger Airbags '08 Dakota