3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Disabling Passenger Airbags '08 Dakota

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 04:10 PM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by ali9771
I recently purchased an 2008 Dakota. I knew it was the base model extended cab when I bought it (from my father in FL). It has SUPER low miles and was a great deal - or so I thought.

Wen I got it home (to NY), I found out that there is no switch to disable the passenger air bag, NOR the seat sensor to shut it off either. It has "advanced airbag system", but does not have a light in the instrument panel that says "airbag off" when the seat is empty.

I took it to the dealer, who looked up the VIN and appropriate manual and all it states is that there is a sensor that controls the speed of deployment based on the speed of impact, nothing else.

It is an extended cab, but no back seat. It is as stripped as they come. 2WD, manual, no power anything, and no switch or sensor for the airbags. I am surprised it has a CD player!!!

I have a four year old in a front facing car seat. I NEED to disable the airbag to keep him safe, but the only dealership for miles says it can't be done. It is my only reliable vehicle. I have another car but it's on it's way out. I also can't do anything to trade this in or sell it until I get the title back in six weeks. Even then, I am not sure it's financially feasible. The dealership wants to give me nothing for this truck and it less than 5K miles on it and not a thing wrong with it (dad lived in a gated community and only drove it to the doctors).

So - what do you think my options are? Currently, I have him forward facing in the car seat with the passenger seat all the way back, and pray. But I don't feel safe.

Can I have a back seat retrofitted? Doesn't seem like there is enough room, but it IS an extended cab and I imagine some models have them. They told me at the dealership that a sensor or switch can't be retrofitted.

The manual is useless.
The local dealership is useless.

I did find a dealer a couple hours away that is looking into the possibility of installing a used back seat. Not sure what that is going to cost or entail, but it's looking like it's my only option, other than selling it and losing money. There are punchouts in the plastic on the side for where seatbelts SHOULD be and the tether hooks are there, just no seat.

Just wondering if there are any other options? The garages are telling me that if I disable the airbag, my insurance won't cover any injuries if the airbag does not deploy because I disabled it.....so that's another risk to this venture. Good grief!
Ali,

If the dealer cannot answer your questions you can contact Chrysler Customer Care at one of the numbers listed below.

800-992-1997 United States
800-465-2001 Canada

Old 04-30-2012, 09:43 PM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

See, I figured you get some answers here. Hopefully someone can come through with a rear seat for you, these guys are the best.

Old 04-30-2012, 11:17 PM
FrenicX
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Indeed, the most active 05+ Dakota forum in the world! If everyone who ever had a question about their truck, came here, this place would be even more boomin.

Old 04-30-2012, 11:50 PM
Eimer123
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FrenicX
I think, don't quote me, "norma jean" removed the rear seats on his ext cab to fit subs? I know someone did and talked about it a couple months ago.
I will quote you lol.

I removed my rear seats. I am not sure if they will work on a 2008.

I am willing to sell mine if they do.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...ed-a-diet.html

Old 05-01-2012, 07:35 AM
norma jean
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FrenicX
I think, don't quote me, "norma jean" removed the rear seats on his ext cab to fit subs? I know someone did and talked about it a couple months ago.
nothing gets by you haha, I removed one, not sure of how the brackets look tho, its been gone long time and im in "upstate" new york as well

Old 05-01-2012, 08:59 AM
ali9771

you put "upstate" in quotes - does that mean "true" upstate or just upstate like albany? I am in WAY upstate - near canadian border (true upstate).

Anyway, if you can check it out, I would appreciate it. Another poster offered me their seat, but only the bottom cushion and head rest. I think that I need the backpad too. I think the car seat would either rub/rattle or not install right if there was no cushion behind it.

If your seat is grey, and the part numbers are all the same, maybe I can use their bottom pad and your back pad (if it's in good shape and you want to part with it).

Really trying to figure this out - the dealer told me that the bottom cushion alone, new, would cost me over $400.

I am glad I got referred here, you guys are the best. I was on DTW a while back, but can't seem to get on there anymore, just keeps hanging up.

Right now, the car seat is in the front, with the seat pushed all the way back. I am using the driver's receiver for the seat belt because the seat belt stalk is too long to use the "short belt path" of the car seat, and the seatbelt is too short to use the "long belt path". I would have to order an extension, BUT, it's "rigid" and won't work. I found the universal extenders and may order one of them in the meantime. Also found there is no locking retractors - so I have to use a locking clip. It's been a nightmare.

Also - having gascap codes. Truck has 5K miles on it. Replaced the gas cap, cleared the code, but the message still remains on the odometer. There is no trip monitor, so I can't reset it. Also can't tilt the steering wheel - was looking at blocks for the pedals - but right now, the steering wheel sits in my lap - my legs are short. If you know of anywhere to find pedal extenders that aren't ridiculous expensive, let me know.

I thought I did my homework before I got this truck....apparently not enough....lol. If it wasn't 2WD, I would get rid of it, but fear losing money on the deal because of where I live. Also fear getting another vehicle for the same price, but with more headaches....as this one has such low mileage and wear and tear.

Old 05-01-2012, 12:27 PM
KS Cowboy
Veteran

a couple of years ago, i killed Bambi with my last dakota. It was a 2006, but i dont immagine that they would have changed the airbag system that much. I am only 5'6 and i darn neard had my knees in the dash. I was standing on the break pedal when i hit the deer, and i pressed my self into the seat. I dont remember the airbag hitting my face. I dont think that the airbag hit my passenger either, but i am not too sure of that. IF i remember right, the bag only comes out 18-24 inches. Here is a pic of them deflated.

DSCN1673.jpg

I hope that yall never have to have them deploy on yall. It stinks, like very badly.

Old 05-01-2012, 12:52 PM
norma jean
Captain

the whole "upstate" thing always pisses me off, I tell people i live in syracuse so it'd be central new york and they are like so your upstate. but yea i live in syracuse and go to oswego for school for the next week and a half.

i have the bottom cushion for the drivers side, for the jump seat and the brackets, i didnt take the headrest out tho, the middle pass is missing the piece as you can see

front.jpg
back.jpg
middlepad.jpg
middlenumbers.jpg
toppad.jpg

Old 05-01-2012, 05:50 PM
Designer
Rookie

I'll start with Don't do this. The airbag can be unplugged at the passenger source. There is a yellow cable with dead ground clips. Once unhooked they are dead ground and will not deploy. I have a switch on my '05 and I would think you could hook one up if you had the parts. Since new systems use a complex set of calculations to decide how fast to deploy if both the g-sensor and the BIT in the front don't agree it won't deploy.

The Dakota isn't really known for it's occupant safety, once the impact the driver has a tendency to move outward and down. Be sure to wear your belt as it sets your body up for the impact.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:24 PM
ali9771

I had the unfortunate experience of hydroplaning into the back end of a tractor trailer with my Hyundai. I don't remember hitting the airbag, but I had the bruises to show the seatbelt saved my butt. I had another accident where I was trying to enter traffic and someone hit me. The airbag DID hit me then - as I had a fleece hoodie on and it melted the spot where it impacted. The woman who hit me also had her airbag deploy and it squished her eyeglasses.

Lesson? Wear your seatbelt and don't monkey with the airbags!

I have been told that the airbag won't "reach" a child in a car seat if the seat is all the way back, but I don't know if I want to find that out firsthand.

And because I have full coverage on the vehicle, I couldn't risk not getting a payout because I disabled the airbags, which I read on Chrysler's website.

So, I am going to see if any of the seats that have been offered will work, and also pursue the option of a bench seat (going to call tomorrow). I would really like him to be in the center - because there is much more room there with the bucket seats - it's also safer.

I may just have to suck it up and sell the truck - don't want to do it, but alot of things seem stacked against me.

Quick Reply: Disabling Passenger Airbags '08 Dakota