3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Tire Pressure Question

Old 05-09-2012, 07:01 PM
damyankee84
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I use to drive a 1ton van for work and we ran some michelin tires with a E load range and we ran about 70 psi in them. Got about 85,000 miles outa those tires.

Old 05-10-2012, 01:31 AM
FrenicX
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by damyankee84
Well I use to drive a 1ton van for work and we ran some michelin tires with a E load range and we ran about 70 psi in them. Got about 85,000 miles outa those tires.
Totally man, the Toyo hyperradials on my 4500 ram went a SOLID 100k on the rears, fronts were out at 65k

Old 10-03-2012, 07:26 PM
pacific
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there any problem using pure air in a Nitrogen-filled tire? It's so hard to find someone who will fill one with N2.
Is the hassle worth it?

Old 10-04-2012, 08:28 AM
northgator8
All Star
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by pacific
Is there any problem using pure air in a Nitrogen-filled tire? It's so hard to find someone who will fill one with N2.
Is the hassle worth it?
My feeling is that it is NO! The idea is that nitrogen is more stable as temperatures change, so if you fill them at +20C, they will still have the same pressure at -20C.

My truck came with nitrogen-filled tires all around, and they would not stay aired-up. I replaced my rears with used because the belts went in one of them. Straight compressed air. They know hold pressure while the fronts are all over the place!

I'm switching the fronts to plain-old-air (which is 78% Nitrogen anyhow). I can refill that at home.

Old 10-05-2012, 02:30 PM
pacific
Amateur

Well, maybe it is one (another) way to keep you coming back to their service. I went in yesterday to my dealer and they filled the tires back to 35 PSI (my gauge may be off, supposed to be 36 PSI). No charge, took me within 15 minutes.

Old 10-09-2012, 04:01 PM
northgator8
All Star
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by pacific
Well, maybe it is one (another) way to keep you coming back to their service. I went in yesterday to my dealer and they filled the tires back to 35 PSI (my gauge may be off, supposed to be 36 PSI). No charge, took me within 15 minutes.
Well, I have no relationship with the stealer, I think the previous owner had it serviced at a GM stealership and they put the tires on, or added the nitrogen.

I had to drive around town for a couple of Saturdays to find someone with a nitrogen can (well, one Saturday I wend to the tire shop I use and they don't have it. Their other store does, so I drove there the next Saturday). I'm adding good old squished air to mine from now on.

Old 10-09-2012, 05:59 PM
JoeyDMG
Professional

I think nitrogen does a few thing supposedly. Like Northgator said they're supposed to be less sensitive to temperature changes. I think it doesn't have water vapor in it so your rim doesn't rust. I've also heard it helps with blowout/fire because there's no oxygen, but that doesn't make sense because once the tire explodes... hello air!

I don't like buying tires from Costco... but I believe they're one of the places that do the nitrogen filling of tires.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tire Pressure Question