3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Noisy new gears on slowdown/coast

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 08:55 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Whine on acceleration is incorrect pinion depth, whine on deceleration is incorrect backlash...

Old 05-29-2012, 11:08 AM
Karl2006
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
Whine on acceleration is incorrect pinion depth, whine on deceleration is incorrect backlash...
I had no idea it could be determined to that extent; thanks for the info

I had read, many years ago, that if not corrected within some period of time, a wear pattern would develop on the gear teeth and even if set correctly after that point the gears would still be noisy. FWIW.

Old 05-29-2012, 12:50 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Karl2006
I had no idea it could be determined to that extent; thanks for the info

I had read, many years ago, that if not corrected within some period of time, a wear pattern would develop on the gear teeth and even if set correctly after that point the gears would still be noisy. FWIW.
I read that when I had my 4.56s installed, I'm thinking it was posted on the Randy's Ring & Pinion site...

Old 05-29-2012, 09:16 PM
DM_kota
Professional

Well I found out what I got.... they came from qualitygear... also I brought it back to him and he said the wear pattern was fine and there was no peices in the fluid

It still has whine on decel. But it seems to be slowly fading it is most pevalant coming off the interstate.

Should I get a 2nd opinion? ??

Last edited by DM_kota; 08-08-2012 at 10:02 AM.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:30 PM
Karl2006

Originally Posted by DM_kota
Well I found out what I got.... they came from qualitygear... also I brought it back to him and he said the wear pattern was fine and there was no prices in the fluid

It still has whine on decel. But it seems to be slowly fading it is most pevalant coming off the interstate.

Should I get a 2nd opinion? ??
If he had it open and didn't measure the backlash, I sure would. The only way to tell is to measure the lash.

In fact, you could measure it yourself assuming there is an inspection cover that can be removed (to be honest I dunno what's back there and I'm not at home to look). You'll need a dial indicator and a magnetic base, that's it. And you'll need to find what the backlash spec is, which should be in a factory service manual (maybe a Chilton or similar version as well). The procedure should be illustrated therein.

Old 05-31-2012, 01:00 AM
sleds
Veteran

I would tend to think you are o.k. What gear ratio was this again? I have 4.56 Quality gears on my truck and the rear has a constant slight whine, everything is good in it.

Old 08-08-2012, 10:04 AM
DM_kota
Professional

4.10 gears is what I have on my truck

UPDATE:
so here we are probrably 6000 miles later, none of the sounds have really changed at all.

The only new thing is now sometimes I put it in reverse and I hear a pop noise... rolllback what I need, then as I start to roll forward, I hear a pop again.

I am going to check the U-Joints when I get home today.

Once I get my new hubbearings on next week (to quiet the truck down) then I am going to bring it to the guy and have him drive it for a day and check it all out.

Old 08-10-2012, 12:48 PM
Robk1971
Professional

Originally Posted by DM_kota
4.10 gears is what I have on my truck

UPDATE:
so here we are probrably 6000 miles later, none of the sounds have really changed at all.

The only new thing is now sometimes I put it in reverse and I hear a pop noise... rolllback what I need, then as I start to roll forward, I hear a pop again.

I am going to check the U-Joints when I get home today.

Once I get my new hubbearings on next week (to quiet the truck down) then I am going to bring it to the guy and have him drive it for a day and check it all out.
I've been getting the same noise for some time now. I was told it was a u-joint, but I'm not convinced and haven't had time to get under and pull the drive shaft to see. I hear the pop almost every time I start to roll from a stop. I suppose a u-joint makes sense but it just seems too loud to be that.

Someone on here (sorry I forget who) recently did a great write up about greasing the splines on the drive shaft and how it resolved symptoms which, if I remember correct, involved the sounds we are hearing. I also notice I don't get the popping sound as much when the truck is loaded.

Edit: The post I mention was by erau titled "**Attention anyone experiencing a "bump" or "jolt" just before or after a stop**" Just happened to appear below this thread when I submitted it.

Last edited by Robk1971; 08-10-2012 at 12:51 PM.

Quick Reply: Noisy new gears on slowdown/coast