3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Back Rack

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 10:45 PM
norma jean
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Reject
My toolbox is TrailFX its sized to fit Daks, and I believe Tacomas to, its to big for Rangers and them. I think it cost around $300 or so for it in black.

i went with a low profile one from lowes for $150, and i can still see out the back window haha, it doesnt come in black i believe, but if you can bring it to work to get it powdercoated, itll look nice

Old 05-18-2012, 11:15 PM
FrenicX
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by KS Cowboy
Dude that looks like a good start.

Dude thats wrong. Now i cant get that out of my mind.
haha, sorry. I couldn't help it.

And that headache rack looks great man, nice work.

Last edited by FrenicX; 05-18-2012 at 11:18 PM.
Old 05-19-2012, 12:26 AM
Reject
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by norma jean
i went with a low profile one from lowes for $150, and i can still see out the back window haha, it doesnt come in black i believe, but if you can bring it to work to get it powdercoated, itll look nice
I can see out it, but the backrack doesnt help. it raises it up over 1 1/2" lol

Old 05-19-2012, 08:57 AM
Alfons
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dimesismoneytoo
I was looking for more of a full headache rack. I mainly want to use it to easily move my canoe around for fishing. (There's something I don't like about more than half the canoe hanging out the back of the bed.)

But anyways, I got the building part done today. It will be Monday before I can get it powdercoated.

Pictures for your viewing pleasure.

Next part is finding a crossbox toolbox and to get the bed RhinoLined.
Good job. I tend to stay away from powder coating because it chips so easily and this opens things up for rust that tends to lift the powder coat paint in sheets. I like the finish that POR-15 gives, if the steel is prepped properly, POR is like an extension to it. The drawback is that the black POR is UV sensitive and will turn dull after a period of time, but it can be coated with just about any good paint. Being a rust paint, POR (paint over rust) has chemicals in it that cause the paint to pacify and bond to iron oxide, so before using this paint, I do a real good cleaning of the steel, then spray it with a mist of water for a few days and let it develop a thin surface rust. I then coat that using a brush - the POR flattens out really well, you don't see any brush marks. I use 2 coats as recommended & have had no issues.

Old 05-19-2012, 11:34 AM
Reject
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Alfons
Good job. I tend to stay away from powder coating because it chips so easily and this opens things up for rust that tends to lift the powder coat paint in sheets. I like the finish that POR-15 gives, if the steel is prepped properly, POR is like an extension to it. The drawback is that the black POR is UV sensitive and will turn dull after a period of time, but it can be coated with just about any good paint. Being a rust paint, POR (paint over rust) has chemicals in it that cause the paint to pacify and bond to iron oxide, so before using this paint, I do a real good cleaning of the steel, then spray it with a mist of water for a few days and let it develop a thin surface rust. I then coat that using a brush - the POR flattens out really well, you don't see any brush marks. I use 2 coats as recommended & have had no issues.
I cleaned the rust of mine with a grinder, then applied lots of Self-Etch primer, then Bedliner. It does need a new coat tho only because when I originally put it on, some spots became grayish somehow lol

btw the rack looks great, id only be worried about the big opening in the center. But it your not loading anything that can break it, I dont see a problem them.

Old 05-23-2012, 01:32 AM
dimesismoneytoo
Professional

Headache rack is being powdercoated as I type this. I'm so excited. Picture to come.

Old 05-23-2012, 07:52 AM
dimesismoneytoo
Professional
Old 05-23-2012, 01:29 PM
FrenicX
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

very nice man. Looks great.

Old 05-23-2012, 03:10 PM
Reject
Record Breaker

Looks great, needs better pics tho lol.
What year is your truck? mine doesnt have Tie-downs on the front sides of the Bed, only 2 in the floor in the front, and 2 on the sides in rear.

Old 05-23-2012, 05:45 PM
dimesismoneytoo
Professional

What year is your truck? mine doesnt have Tie-downs on the front sides of the Bed, only 2 in the floor in the front, and 2 on the sides in rear.
It's a 2005.

Quick Reply: Back Rack