3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

BFG or Grabber AT2?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 03:37 PM
mproc18
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BFG or Grabber AT2?

Hey guys, I have an 06 dakota and looking for some new tires. Looking between the BFG Rugged Terrain or the Grabber AT2's. They seem very similiar especially in price the BFG is only $1 more. Let me know if you have either and which you prefer. Thanks.

Old 03-16-2012, 04:23 PM
varnerhba
Veteran

cant go wrong with bfg love my a/t's they are the BEST

Old 03-16-2012, 04:34 PM
rengnath
Champion

Grabber AT2's are almost the exact same tire as the BFG A/T's, and the BFGs are significantly more expenisive. I was torn when I purchased my tires, but went with the BFGs to have the name brand.

Comparing the two tires you've selected, ask yourself if you want more of a sport tire or an A/T tire. Look at the weights of the tires and the noise ratings, and determine which tire better suits you better. If I was on a budget and couldnt get the BFG A/Ts, I would do the Grabber AT2 tires.

Old 03-16-2012, 07:54 PM
slicktrick
Professional

For what its worth, I've been a bfg fan for years & I've had 3 sets of the bfgs on different vehicles .

but,the last set seemed to wear down faster than previous sets.it was even wear ,but somehow the bfgs seemed softer than before,idk.

this is kinda funny this comes up,I am looking at getting the grabbers & I want the E load range version for towing .
They're much more reasonably priced around here on them than the bfg's.
I've had general street tires on work vans & they held up pretty good,figured why not try the grabbers.

But ,man i'd really like a set of those D ick cepek fun country II radials,lol, that's a gutsy looking tire,but it ain't cheap, so ill probably go w/ the grabbers later.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:00 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I've had two sets of BFG A/Ts and they were the worst tires I've ever owned - yes worse than stocker Goodyears! I had cupping issues, uneven wear and premature wear. The one set I bought new I yanked off with 18,000 miles on them. I know some guys have them and love them, but I couldn't even keep 'em balanced.
The set on my old Furd diesel 4x4 cupped and had a belt separation and the tire shop kept blaming my truck. But when I yanked the BFGs and put on a set of Mickey Thompson MTXs, they were still in perfect shape 29k miles later when I sold the truck - with NO repairs or modifications made to the truck that supposedly caused my BFG problems.

My Grand Cherokee came with BFG Long Trails and they were ok, really had no wear on them after two years, but I did have to put five plugs in the four tires in that time. It just seemed like every screw or nail would pierce right through. I lifted the GC and put on a set of Nitto Terra Grapplers three years ago and I go to primarily all the same places and have yet to need to plug one. I've yanked a couple screws out, but none pierced all the way through.

So obviously out of the BFG or Generals, take a guess at which one I'd vote for if this was a poll???

Old 03-19-2012, 01:37 PM
mproc18
Amateur

tirerack.com has the cheapest prices, the BFG is only $1 more than the grabbers. I think im gonna go with the BFG will upload pics when they get installed

Old 03-19-2012, 09:55 PM
geofft225
Rookie

Im running BFG's, not to much noise, looks to be holding up well too. I like the agressive look compared to other A/T variants.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:28 PM
justdoitlive

I have 265 65 17 grabbers at2 on my truck for ~25k miles. Theyre a good tire, I noticed they spin easy in the rain. Next set I'd go BFG myself.

Old 03-29-2012, 06:59 AM
Alfons
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Has anyone tried that Nitto tire or is it too new to review?

Old 03-29-2012, 08:53 AM
mikeg87xx
Professional

I JUST bought a set of BFG Rugged Terrain's. I love them. Better than the BFG A/T's. Still need to do some cutting in the wheel well because i still got a slight rub but thats a whole other story. Anyway's I love my BFG Rugged Terrains so far. It was between those or the Nittos, but I dont know too much about the nittos....either way once I get my JMR 6" list, Im popping a set of 17" wheels on and some 35's. ;-D ...new headers first though....

Quick Reply: BFG or Grabber AT2?