3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

bad night.

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 02:53 PM
Classy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bad night.

So last night after boating all day, my 2005 dodge dakota v6 3.7L broke down on me. At first inspection I noticed the belt was shreded and wrapped around the fan. then after inspecting it a bit more this morning i notice it had sprayed fluid all over. I think the leak is coming from behind the bottom pully somewhere. Any idea what it might be. color is light pink and does not seem to be oily to me either. I'm going back out after lunch to get some picture for you all. Thanks in advance.
leak2.jpg

leak1.jpg

Classy

Last edited by Classy; 06-17-2012 at 03:49 PM.
Old 06-17-2012, 03:42 PM
Holbrook.Jeremy
Professional

Dex coolant is orange which can look pinkish (If your just running straight dex), tranny fluid could also look pinkish. When you say it broke down did it just stop running or did you notice it was over heating? I had the belt shred on mine also, it didn't go all the way off like yours I just heard a whipping sound from under the hood and when I checked all but 2 ribs had let go. One of those little things that are very very easy to forgot and so very critical to the well being of your vehicle.

Old 06-17-2012, 03:54 PM
06Dak4.7Silver
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well PS fluid/transmission fluid are red but can appear pink sometimes..is the truck running okay now/did you replace the belt etc.? There is coolant out there that is pink but that is used in Volkswagen/Audi cooling systems

Old 06-17-2012, 05:26 PM
damyankee84
Veteran

Not sure if ours have it but some harmonic balancers are fluid filled and will leak.

Old 06-17-2012, 07:39 PM
Classy

Originally Posted by Holbrook.Jeremy
Dex coolant is orange which can look pinkish (If your just running straight dex), tranny fluid could also look pinkish. When you say it broke down did it just stop running or did you notice it was over heating? I had the belt shred on mine also, it didn't go all the way off like yours I just heard a whipping sound from under the hood and when I checked all but 2 ribs had let go. One of those little things that are very very easy to forgot and so very critical to the well being of your vehicle.
Well at first before I pulled over I noticed a small rapid vibration. About two minutes later it stopped then almost immediatley I started to hear a screeching, thats when I pulled over. It did sort of come all the way off and parts of it is wrapped around the fan.

My concern is its still leaking something as we speak. About a drop every 30 seconds.

Old 06-17-2012, 07:41 PM
Classy

Originally Posted by 06Dak4.7Silver
Well PS fluid/transmission fluid are red but can appear pink sometimes..is the truck running okay now/did you replace the belt etc.? There is coolant out there that is pink but that is used in Volkswagen/Audi cooling systems
I have not got a new belt. But I will on payday. I am just attempting to save a tow trip to the mechanic/ possible fix this my self.

Old 06-17-2012, 08:14 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

You need to figure out what is leaking first, then go from there.

Old 06-17-2012, 10:49 PM
donkeypunch
King Jackass
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It looks like coolant to me. The Mopar coolant is orange-ish. This is clearly not transmission fluid...as it is seeping from the front cover.

Old 06-17-2012, 11:44 PM
erau
Veteran
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Just an educated guess here.Sounds like one of the accessories seized, causing the belt to shred around it while the crankshaft pulley kept turning. If that is coolant, maybe a blown/seized water pump?

Old 06-18-2012, 12:04 AM
06Dak4.7Silver
Record Breaker

In the first picture you can see a drop underneath the pulley that definitely looks orange to me which is as stated above the color of Mopar coolant...I think erau could be on the right page with his seized water pump theory

Quick Reply: bad night.