3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Steering Shaft Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 02:17 AM
OhSixDakota
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Steering Shaft Problem

Was driving the truck around today. After I made a turn something happened and now the steering wheel binds when I make a turn. It's fine if i'm going straight but when i try to turn left or right it will bind then free up and turn normally, then bind again when i get back to straight. Kind of hard to explain, but it makes it hard to turn. I don't know what happened. I took a look at the steering shaft and it looks like the angle on the top U joint is to much and that's where its binding I think.

Here's some pics, if someone can point out anything that looks like its out of place let me know. I do have the shaft extension in from the PA body lift. But i never had a problem at all till today.

Top U joint
Photo07031952.jpg

Bottom of the steering shaft.
Photo07031951.jpg

Old 07-06-2012, 03:20 AM
marcsnyder05
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same problem I pulled out the intermediate shaft and the lower u joint was REALLY stiff so I found another one at the junk yard and it fixed it

Old 07-06-2012, 04:54 PM
Reject
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I grease mine, I had the same problem. I have 1" or so play now, and it makes a rattling sound like hell on bumpy roads.
Its that joint, Had the same thing go on my 2k Dakota, One would think they would have fixed it.

Mine started out firm, and over a few days got harder, and harder

Old 07-06-2012, 05:00 PM
Eimer123
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its just another junk part that Dodge had made for this truck.

You best bet is to replace it. The entire part is under $100 bucks and is held in by a pinch bolt on top and one on bottom. Just make sure to spray the crap out of those pinch bolts for several days before trying to remove them.

Quick Reply: Steering Shaft Problem