3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Thinking of upgrading to K&N filter

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 08:01 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

Your paying for the name and the hype. Look at the K& N ones, over $300 for a couple pieces of plastic tubing and a washable filter...

Old 07-18-2012, 09:21 AM
KS Cowboy
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Someone a long time ago once said "There is a sucker born every miniute". I think it was PT Barnum. (i dont intend to offend anyone) They have found that people will still buy their overpriced stuff no matter what. jkeaton is right, you are just payin for name.

Old 07-19-2012, 11:55 AM
novovictus1
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KS Cowboy
Someone a long time ago once said "There is a sucker born every miniute". I think it was PT Barnum. (i dont intend to offend anyone) They have found that people will still buy their overpriced stuff no matter what. jkeaton is right, you are just payin for name.
I respectfully dissagree. I think there are some companies who are making great parts and rightfully up-charge for them. Yes it was expensive, but with discounts I think I paid $220 on amazon. The install was nice in that you can tell it was engineered for the vehicle. The heatshield is the best part using factory mounting points with no drilling or cutting. There is a nice ruber gasget over the top of the shield. It has a good mounting bracket that connects to I think the AC compressor top bolt if i remember right. Also it comes with measured and fitted tubes for the other connections. For the time I saved, paying for a quality item was worth it, VS buying an ebay intake and trying to make that work. I think there is a major advantage of the cone filter over the stock box with a better filter. Especially in my case with a ram air hood...

Old 07-20-2012, 08:34 AM
northgator8
All Star
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 08_Dakota
Ok well I am looking to increase MPG and get more power. I also would like to get better sound more sound preferable. I have the 3.7 v6. Other than exhaust which I would be looking at next, I just thought I would start with the least expensive before investing in a whole lot more.
I see that you are from up-the-line! Someone had one on kijiji ottawa for sale. It said it was for the V8, and I was thinking of grabbing it, but it should work on the V6, shouldn't it?

Quick Reply: Thinking of upgrading to K&N filter