3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.
Old 08-13-2015, 05:49 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

How To Install Parking Sensors on our trucks

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 08:37 PM
Moltenburn
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How To Install Parking Sensors on our trucks

First off I will post full pics of the truck once it is washed, the beast is filthy. Second please no comments on the smudged primering it is temporary I am going to 3M(line-x) my bumper in a few weeks.

So I bought this kit off of amazon. It is a very nice kit for $31 smackolas. It has a nice compact display that shows where the object is and how far off you are. Easy to see in the day and has a mute switch if you get tired of the beeping. There alas is no volume control.

Amazon Amazon

Good overall kit, But be forewarned, the drill bit it comes with licks the as-s-e-s of a million monkeys. That being said go buy yourself a good 7/8ths bi-metal hole saw. Also test your kit w/ a 9-volt battery before installing. You want to make sure all is well before going to town.

First you need to pick your spots. I chose to have mine on the far ends 1" down and 3" over from the molding marks on the plastic caps of the bumper. Then decided to mount the inners 2" down and abut 7" from the licenses lights. I used masking tape and sharpy to set my points for the drilling. Now measure once, twice, three, four... hell you get where I am going with this, because once you unleash a drill on it you are in full D-ick-s.

So once your comfortable with your placement use a hammer and a center punch to set your drill points, you do not want your bit wandering. Once that is a go take a deep breath and start hole sawing you sh-it. You should end up with this.

Four nice holes symetrical to the center point of your bumper. Now remove your tape, use a file to smooth any edges, apply auto primer to your edges (no rust) and install your sensors in the bumper. When you get them you will see that they have a way of being put in that points them ever so slightly towards the ground.

Followed by bundling them as needed and running the wires how ever you like in the rear assembly of the truck. I zipped tied the ish out of everything and utilized the driver rear backup light for my power source.

Now lets test everything out again plug in sensor unit and alert screen, then hook up your 9 volt. With screen in hand walk back and forth in front of your bumper at different lengths. Does it read correct? Yes? Then you are friggen awesome parking sensor install ninja deluxe. Deluxe Son, Deluxe.

I did not grab photos of the wire tap install I am sorry and a bit drunk by this time. Your reverse has a white (positive) and a brown (ground) wires. Use radio shack taps with a pile of electric tape. Reminder it gets dirty in that light area. From there Stick the control unit to inside panel of truck fender w/ double sided tape. My kit came with it. Plug everything in and put truck in reverse (not running for those dumb fuhks out there) and it should work just as previously tested.

For adjusting the sensors you can turn them a little left or right with out screwing with the downward angle. Pick and chose as you please.

Now for the display I ran mine from the small cubby hole behind my cup holder to the control unit in the rear. Mine came with a 16ft cable which was barely enough to reach but did make it there. The trip to this is finding a entry hole to the cab. I found by pulling up kicker panels we have small white plugs, perfect for pulling out, routing wire, and re installing.

I routed the remaining wire towards the rear through numerous frame holes and zip tying. From there routed remaining wire and display through the cabin used double sided tape to attach out of the way and viola. We are done here friends.

To finish I did end up hiding all wirings with ease and there are numerous ways to do so if you like. A week in and they are still working sweet no issues. I will post picks on my profile post once the truck is clean.

Cheers

Moltenburn.

Last edited by Moltenburn; 07-18-2012 at 08:47 PM.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:43 PM
BBoSS
Amateur

Nice!

Old 07-18-2012, 11:30 PM
erau
Veteran
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Badass. I like that, great job.

Old 07-19-2012, 09:18 AM
northgator8
All Star
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I agree, great write-up and install, but we have big steel bumpers so why do you need back-up sensors? Drive by brail, man!

When you feel an obstical, you are there! LOL

Old 07-19-2012, 11:01 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

Nice write-up! I put a set of these in my daughters mustang and my wifes journey because they are constantly backing into crap. Me, I just use my mirrors...

Last edited by jkeaton; 07-19-2012 at 11:06 AM.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:27 PM
DakotaAgain?
Veteran

Way too much work for something I never thought I needed, but if you like it , enjoy.

Old 07-19-2012, 04:18 PM
FrenicX
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DakotaAgain?
Way too much work for something I never thought I needed, but if you like it , enjoy.

If my wife drove my truck, I'd definitely need a set of these.. but she's afraid of it so no worries lol.

Old 07-19-2012, 04:40 PM
Moltenburn
Rookie

Thanks for the comments. Yeah I know how to drive but its D-Bags that will pull out behind me in grocery stores that drives me nuts. Once I added the topper I knew I needed some extra coverage. Plus my stocker Dak gets a bit more neato.

Old 07-19-2012, 06:46 PM
Eimer123
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will save myself the money and continue to use my hitch to tell me when I am to close to the vehicle behind me. LOL just kidding, but I have bumped some cars before with the hitch.

They call them bumpers for a reason.. to bump

Old 07-20-2012, 05:32 PM
norma jean
Captain

Originally Posted by jkeaton
Nice write-up! I put a set of these in my daughters mustang and my wifes journey because they are constantly backing into crap. Me, I just use my mirrors...
Speaking of mustangs, I'm in myrtle beach now I am seeing more mustangs per square mile than I've seek total in my life, I'm talking countless mustangs I just saw 5 out of 6 cars as them, can you enlighten me why the south loves them soo much?

Quick Reply: How To Install Parking Sensors on our trucks