3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Monroe Quickstrut

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 06:23 PM
JoeyDMG
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monroe Quickstrut

For anyone wondering... here's a pic of the passenger side quickstrut for the 4X4 installed. Part number 171100. It cost $207 to have them installed at a local shop (I could not get the lower arm to drop). I also had them replace the stabilizer link on the passenger side for another $36 and the alignment was about $50. I had a $20 off coupon so labor with tax was just shy of $300.

I'll try to get more pics later... it was starting to sprinkle when I took the pic.

On a side note... if anyone wants the strut assembly off a TRX4 '06 Dakota let me know.

Old 07-20-2012, 07:31 PM
Reject
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im unable to purchase these localally as I tried to (Said it was in the system, but unable to order), and everyone online I tried said they had a unknown ETA from Monroe on them. Pissed me right off.

Old 07-20-2012, 10:42 PM
popsnbeer
Captain

More info about the quickstrut? What makes them quick ;-) and are they compatible with an over the strut spacer?

Old 07-20-2012, 11:14 PM
06Dak4.7Silver
Record Breaker

Its a strut with a spring pre-mounted. Simpler installation, besides that its the regular Monroe's that a lot of the guys here have upgraded to

Old 07-21-2012, 03:22 AM
JoeyDMG
Professional

Originally Posted by 06Dak4.7Silver
Its a strut with a spring pre-mounted. Simpler installation, besides that its the regular Monroe's that a lot of the guys here have upgraded to
Yep... it's basically a loaded strut (strut, spring, spring isolators and strut mount with 3 upper nuts). You don't have to compress the spring. I figured I'd replace everything to get rid of the bouncing. Also after 2009 the entire assembly has a limited lifetime warranty. They're supposed to be specially designed for the specific vehicle.

Here's what they look like in the box:

Originally Posted by Reject
Im unable to purchase these localally as I tried to (Said it was in the system, but unable to order), and everyone online I tried said they had a unknown ETA from Monroe on them. Pissed me right off.
I ordered these from Rockauto and they were in stock for about $165 or so. I know O'Reilly has them on their website, but they wanted $272 a piece for them. I know most every major strut manufacture makes a version of the quickstrut (KYB calls it a strutplus, Gabriel is ReadyMount), but Monroe is the only one I could find at this time that makes it for our truck.

Not sure if an admin wants to add the following parts to the FAQ for strut parts:
Monroe Quickstrut 171100 - 4X4
Monroe Quickstrut 271100 - 4X2

Old 07-21-2012, 09:17 AM
Reject
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by JoeyDMG
Yep... it's basically a loaded strut (strut, spring, spring isolators and strut mount with 3 upper nuts). You don't have to compress the spring. I figured I'd replace everything to get rid of the bouncing. Also after 2009 the entire assembly has a limited lifetime warranty. They're supposed to be specially designed for the specific vehicle.

Here's what they look like in the box:

I ordered these from Rockauto and they were in stock for about $165 or so. I know O'Reilly has them on their website, but they wanted $272 a piece for them. I know most every major strut manufacture makes a version of the quickstrut (KYB calls it a strutplus, Gabriel is ReadyMount), but Monroe is the only one I could find at this time that makes it for our truck.

Not sure if an admin wants to add the following parts to the FAQ for strut parts:
Monroe Quickstrut 171100 - 4X4
Monroe Quickstrut 271100 - 4X2

Ill check RockAuto, I did before months back and didnt see them. unless im blind lol

Old 07-21-2012, 09:20 AM
Reject
Record Breaker

Well for the price shipped from RockAuto, it would only be like $100 or so more to get them done here by my mech. :/ that sucks lol

Old 07-21-2012, 01:17 PM
MonkeyWrench4000
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So whats the verdict? How are they? How is the spring? Truck sits correctly, rides better, etc?

Old 07-21-2012, 04:48 PM
JoeyDMG
Professional

Originally Posted by MonkeyWrench4000
So whats the verdict? How are they? How is the spring? Truck sits correctly, rides better, etc?
Not sure yet... They seem to be good, but it's a WIP. The quickstruts are on, but I haven't gotten a chance to put the last rear shock on yet. I don't think it sits any differently. I also can't say the difference between it and if you just threw say a Reflex strut in the old assembly. I'd also want to take it on a basic off road run and see what they do.

Here's a close ups of of the strut off the truck...

I'm not sure if it's a rebadged reflex strut or not. It says 7110, but the reflex p/n's are 71100.

Also my old struts probably had about 72000 miles on them.

Old 07-22-2012, 11:58 PM
freedub2003
Default quick struts

I used them on my 07 4x4, which had 19000 miles on it when I bought it back in May. The new struts made the front sit higher and no more bounce. Just need to do the ball joints and sway bar bracket bushing.

Quick Reply: Monroe Quickstrut