3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

High Definition light Bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2012 | 09:48 PM
bandito40
|
Rookie
Default High Definition light Bulbs

Hi,

I want to upgrade possibly all of the lights in my truck to High Definition lights (not bi-xeon). I want to do the headlights for sure. I was wondering if anyone knows or recommends a certain brand and what the estimated cost would be.

Thanks,

Banito

Old 07-22-2012 | 11:12 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator

Are you referring to HID, which are High Intensity Discharge, lights? I have never heard of "High Definition" lights, just clarifying.

Old 07-23-2012 | 12:23 AM
06Dak4.7Silver
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by jasonw
Are you referring to HID, which are High Intensity Discharge, lights? I have never heard of "High Definition" lights, just clarifying.
Agreed it's HID, not HD but its no big deal. People call it that around me all the time and my geek/gearhead *** always corrects them that it is high intensity discharge. Anyways, pick up a low beam H13 w/ halogen high kit from either ddmtuning.com or hidextra.com...get yourself a relay harness which you will see as an option on both sites and you will be all set. if you have fogs (H10) I recommend changing those to HID's as well. For anything else, upgrade to LED's, not HID. HID's require ballasts to power them and even if you got slims I think it would be a pain to have to mount them everywhere and worry about any kind of electrical nightmare with your truck.

Old 07-23-2012 | 05:14 PM
JoeyDMG
Professional

Originally Posted by 06Dak4.7Silver
Agreed it's HID, not HD but its no big deal. People call it that around me all the time and my geek/gearhead *** always corrects them that it is high intensity discharge. Anyways, pick up a low beam H13 w/ halogen high kit from either ddmtuning.com or hidextra.com...get yourself a relay harness which you will see as an option on both sites and you will be all set. if you have fogs (H10) I recommend changing those to HID's as well. For anything else, upgrade to LED's, not HID. HID's require ballasts to power them and even if you got slims I think it would be a pain to have to mount them everywhere and worry about any kind of electrical nightmare with your truck.
You have any LED lights you recommend? I'd like to put some in for the cargo light so it's brighter when I gotta dig stuff out of the bed when we're camping.

Old 07-23-2012 | 05:20 PM
06Dak4.7Silver
Record Breaker

Go to Amazon and search 194 led..buy the 4 pack for $0.95 that comes up as the first search result. I run those in cargo and licence plate lamps for a year and a half, no issues whatsoever

Old 07-24-2012 | 09:01 AM
bandito40
|
Rookie

There doesn't seem to be a 4-pack for $0.95 however you had purchased yours 1 1/2 years ago so things may have changed. Do you remember what brand you purchased?

Old 07-24-2012 | 09:44 AM
italiandominator
All Star

Do you guys know of any good DIY Youtube videos or anything on how to install HID's? I've been putting it off for a while, but a friend of mine wants to do it on his Jeep when I get home and figured we could both do it together.

Also, in reguards to doing HID's in your fog lights...I've heard before that you have to be careful doing that cuz the lenses on the fog lights could melt if you use a light that gets too hot...is that the case here and if so where would you go to get replacement lenses?

Old 07-24-2012 | 03:06 PM
rebel4055
Veteran

I was lost when I did mine. Never installed them before. Just takes common sense. Now that I know what to do. I could do it again faster. It's literally plug in play on cars that don't require anything fancy.

Old 07-24-2012 | 04:29 PM
norma jean
Captain

Originally Posted by italiandominator
Do you guys know of any good DIY Youtube videos or anything on how to install HID's? I've been putting it off for a while, but a friend of mine wants to do it on his Jeep when I get home and figured we could both do it together.

Also, in reguards to doing HID's in your fog lights...I've heard before that you have to be careful doing that cuz the lenses on the fog lights could melt if you use a light that gets too hot...is that the case here and if so where would you go to get replacement lenses?

it is rather easy, remove the headlight assembly (3 bolts and ball socket thingy), remove the headlight bulb, replace with new bulbs, zip tie ballasts to the frame one behind the drivers side and one behind the passenger side, connect the ballast to the bulb via the connector, now take the relay-> connect the one with the headlight socket to the drivers side factory light bulb socket-> take the long wire with the two plugs on it put one in the drivers ballast then run the other across to the passenger side-> i grounded this wire on each side with the factor ground bolts, theres one on each side of the frame-> now run the relay power wire to the battery.

I can get pictures if you so request.

in regard to the fog lights, the hid bulbs are 35 watts and the normal bulbs are 55w halogen, so they attually don't burn as hot as the stock bulbs. so your safe on that one

Last edited by norma jean; 07-24-2012 at 04:31 PM.
Old 07-24-2012 | 05:02 PM
06Dak4.7Silver
Record Breaker

Amazon Amazon

and keep the HID's in the fogs to maximum 35w. 55w is way too bright anyways

Quick Reply: High Definition light Bulbs