3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

What to look for before buying used 2006 Dakota SLT

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 08:52 AM
paoutdoorsman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The truck appears to be impeccably maintained and garage kept. Brand new Michelen LTX2 tires, hitch has never been used, factory dielectric grease still in the 4 flat connector, interior exterior and undercarriarge all very clean. It does have a ton of miles - 173K, but that puts it in my price range.

After doing a bunch of reading on here, I looked over a few things a little closer. It does have some rust beginning to form at the bed seems above the rear wheels. Don't like that, but sounds inevitable on all. I actually looked at an 07 last night as well with only 55K miles and it had more rust than the high mile 06. It's priced 13K higher too, so it's out for me anyway.

Old 09-12-2012, 09:18 AM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by paoutdoorsman
The truck appears to be impeccably maintained and garage kept. Brand new Michelen LTX2 tires, hitch has never been used, factory dielectric grease still in the 4 flat connector, interior exterior and undercarriarge all very clean. It does have a ton of miles - 173K, but that puts it in my price range.

After doing a bunch of reading on here, I looked over a few things a little closer. It does have some rust beginning to form at the bed seems above the rear wheels. Don't like that, but sounds inevitable on all. I actually looked at an 07 last night as well with only 55K miles and it had more rust than the high mile 06. It's priced 13K higher too, so it's out for me anyway.

Post some pics of whatever you decide to buy.

Old 09-12-2012, 09:19 AM
northgator8
All Star
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I actually looked at an 07 last night as well with only 55K miles and it had more rust than the high mile 06. It's priced 13K higher too, so it's out for me anyway.
Seriously? $13K higher? I bought my '06 last year, essentially the same as the '06 you listed with 67,000 kms on it (<42k miles) for $14,000 out the door. Typical front end issues, some of which I've solved, now dealing with the wheel arch rust - it is now back to black from grey primer, but I've got a date with wet-dry sandpaper!

Old 09-12-2012, 09:37 AM
kjpark
Professional

Definately sticking with a V8. Window sticker was in the glove box of the 06 I looked at last night. 15 City and 20 Hwy is what was on it. When you say "Keep the engine clean and well maintained", what specifically do you mean by clean? I'm a maintenance freak and will do oil and filter every 3,000, air filter every 3rd oil change, and spark plugs every 25,000. Anything else you recommend?
yup those are pretty much what i meant. As for air filter, you can get a nice drop in, aem makes a non oil performance air filter. Never need to oil, just clean it once in a while. Also never have to replace it . In case this ever happens not likely for a while, if you ever see a speck of oil anywhere, just wipe it off and make sure you don't get oil splattered anywhere by driving. Most of the time wiping it off will solve it. Other than that keep it clean(change oils, and keep everything fresh and not old you know?) Other than that, throw some seafoam in the truck once in a while and you should be good.

Old 09-12-2012, 01:42 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

Put up some pics. What are they asking? For comparison my 05 quadcab 4x4 Laramie (4.7) was $15,900 with 48,000 miles on it when I bought it in 09.

Old 11-13-2012, 07:55 PM
bandito40
Rookie

Thanks for the response. I knew some of the earlier Dakota's and Durango's had front end part issues. Was hoping Dodge resolved that issue in this generation.

I would consider a Ram 1500, but I already have a Chevy 2500HD diesel, and just need something as a daily driver with 4 full doors. My kids are outgrowing my extended cab Chevy Colorado, and the Durango seems to be about the only option with 4 full doors and reasonable size bed in less than a full size truck.
Don't use stock dodge linkage parts. They're crap and are over priced. I used Moogs in my truck. They are warranty for life and cost about 1/2 price of OEM Dodge parts.

Old 11-15-2012, 08:18 AM
rodslinger
Veteran
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I think the first thing I would look for before buying a used 06 is if there are any 03 or 04 models around to choose from....

Quick Reply: What to look for before buying used 2006 Dakota SLT