3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

LED Replacement fog lights

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2012 | 01:44 AM
hwcurtice
|
Veteran

Paul,

You could just get the factory lights. Only issue is the electrical harness, I would think. Other than that, fitting any light that would fit in there should work. Just gotta worry about melting the bumper...

Old 09-12-2012 | 03:59 PM
sparks1032
Rookie

So I am confused LED are not bright and are expensive the HID are less but don't last as long? Nobody mentioned the need for a transfer box for HID to make the voltage change? Are we talking changing the color to match HID or changing the actual system?

Old 09-12-2012 | 05:24 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin

Originally Posted by sparks1032
So I am confused LED are not bright and are expensive the HID are less but don't last as long? Nobody mentioned the need for a transfer box for HID to make the voltage change? Are we talking changing the color to match HID or changing the actual system?
My experience is with HID's only and mine were super bright (could barely see the headligh beams over the HID's) and they lasted the two or so years I had them in before I sold the truck. I can't vouch for the brightness of the LED's. I don't know if anyone on here ran LED's in the fogs. I am making an assumption they are not as bright as HID's. The colors I am referring to are the different temperatures you can get HID bulbs in. I had 2500k that were yellow like traditional fog lights and had a set of 6000 k for that blue tint look, you could also go to the 12000 k range for purple if you wanted. The box you refer to normally comes with a kit. The 9145 kits on ebay for example come with the "ballast" and these kits are plug and play for the fog lights. When you get into the headlights, you need relays and stuff to make them work right, but the fog lights are plug and play.

Old 09-13-2012 | 10:58 AM
BAdassR/T
Record Breaker

I decided to get rid of hids in general in my truck and replaced the whole stock housing fog lights for some real led lights. Much brighter then hids and will last longer then the crappy balists I was getting. They weren't cheap, but love the look

Old 09-13-2012 | 11:04 AM
Paulinations
Professional

Originally Posted by hwcurtice
Just gotta worry about melting the bumper...
Yea i would do that

Old 09-13-2012 | 11:07 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin

Originally Posted by BAdassR/T
I decided to get rid of hids in general in my truck and replaced the whole stock housing fog lights for some real led lights. Much brighter then hids and will last longer then the crappy balists I was getting. They weren't cheap, but love the look

So there we have an LED fog light review.

Old 09-13-2012 | 11:36 AM
dakotaff
Champion

Originally Posted by BAdassR/T
Good move, HID's are nothing but trouble. And they blind everyone on the road because they're not done correctly with projectors.

Old 09-13-2012 | 05:25 PM
06Dak4.7Silver
Record Breaker

Kent, you had them for two months not two years ^
HID's are okay..just don't buy a cheap cheap kit and use a relay harness regardless if its fog lights or low beams. My HID's were working perfect with the relay. I ran into a problem on mine and they completely stopped working..I hardwired them to a switch in the cab because I figured it was a problem with the computer and they still didn't work. Turns out it was a faulty ground wire on my headlight connector to the xenon bulb. I emailed HIDextra about this and they are sending me a new pair of bulbs for free under warranty. I will remove the switch and solder the power wire back to the original headlight power source. Just use a relay harness like I said..they run about $15 but are even included in some kits

Old 09-24-2012 | 04:04 PM
hwcurtice
|
Veteran

Well, I got the LEDs. Now if only I could wrestle my truck from my son so I can tell how well they work....

Turns out the place is just a little north of me as well... May have to go shopping as they've opened a retail spot there!

Old 09-24-2012 | 05:29 PM
Reject
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Paulinations
sorry to thread jack...I have an 05 ST and no fog lights. I know there is a spot under the bumper cover where I could wire it...and i know how to cut the bumper cover...is there a specific light I should buy or just anything that fits?
There is the Fog Light Housings, the ones I bought take H10 Bulbs. (Bought on Ebay)
The wiring was in-place on my 05 ST, All I needed was the Housings (came with bulbs) and the OEM Switch /w Fogs, Then a quick Starscan at the dealer and boom done.

Fogs Install
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...s-of-pics.html
Switch Install
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...ht-switch.html

Quick Reply: LED Replacement fog lights