3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Rear Drum

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 05:17 PM
daterxies
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Drum

Well earlier this year it seized on me, and found out the master cylinder must have been shot. Replaced that, it was fine but my truck would still shake at high speeds. I plan on replacing my passanger side front rotar too and im hoping this is whats causing a on and off screech, but i want to go back and check if the rear drums still having a hard time.

Main question is can the drums issues be due to the hardware, last time i lifted it i would step on gas and that tire would barly move, but the passanger rear would move fine... we lubed it up and it was fine for the time being (i know a quick fix but i was broke)

Are there any tutorials that someone can point out for replacing the hardware inside the drum?

thanks

Old 09-27-2012, 08:34 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 338 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by daterxies
Well earlier this year it seized on me, and found out the master cylinder must have been shot. Replaced that, it was fine but my truck would still shake at high speeds. I plan on replacing my passanger side front rotar too and im hoping this is whats causing a on and off screech, but i want to go back and check if the rear drums still having a hard time.

Main question is can the drums issues be due to the hardware, last time i lifted it i would step on gas and that tire would barly move, but the passanger rear would move fine... we lubed it up and it was fine for the time being (i know a quick fix but i was broke)

Are there any tutorials that someone can point out for replacing the hardware inside the drum?

thanks
First I am trying to decipher your post. You had one rear drum seize so you replaced the master cylinder...do you mean the brake cylinder on the wheel that had the seized drum or the brake system master cylinder under the hood? The you are going to replace just one front rotor? Also could you clarify what you mean by "you lifted it and you would step on the gas and that tire would barely move but the passenger rear would move fine".

When I work on rear brakes, I do one side at a time and I have the other drum off with everything intact so I can see where everything goes when I go to put it all back together. A Haynes or Chiltons manual will be a big help also. I also would recommend doing both sides at the same time.

Last edited by jkeaton; 09-29-2012 at 08:26 AM.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:28 PM
DIY05
Amateur

When it comes to brakes what you do to one side you should also do to the other. You also need to make sure that the parking brake hardware is in good shap and working properly. This would include the cable I have seen just one side hang up before. I am with Keaton not sure what the front rotor point was but the same applies I would replace both and never use old pads on new rotors. Sqweeks can also come from shims and retainer springs it is always best to replace them also. Be sure to lube slide pins with the proper grease to ensure the boots arnt damaged. I could go on for another 10 min on brake sqweeks but those are the top culprits.

Old 09-28-2012, 09:33 PM
durangoo98

Had prob. w my 98 durango when I purchased it rear brakes were locking, don't forget the rubber lines go bad from inside out could be the fluid not returning to master.....

Quick Reply: Rear Drum